Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4L60 Stock strength

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 10:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60 Stock strength

Hey Everyone

Im sure its been asked many times, Ive been searching and cant seem to find much. I'm looking to maybe do a 5.3 or 6.0 swap from my 4.8, and want around 400hp crank hp. So im just wondering if the stock 4l60 will live behind that, or am i asking for premature failure

Thanks
Mike
Old 03-03-2012, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It could work, or it could fail. A shift kit and the vette servo would deffently help out.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AndysC3
It could work, or it could fail. A shift kit and the vette servo would deffently help out.
A vette servo is already in the plans, even behind the 4.8. How much will the shift kit effect drive ability. Im sure a bigger cooler is never a bad idea
Old 03-03-2012, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will never get a definitive answer on how much a stock 4L60E can hold up to. Numerous people are running at or around 400 flywheel HP on stock 4L60E trans with no issues, and some people some how toast stock 4L60E trans with a stock truck lol go figure.

With you being a ECSB it is a heavier vehicle and the stock 4L60E may or may not last you awhile with that much added power. Your driving habits is a factor too. I would get a tru cool 40K trans cooler and just run it.. Later on you can slowly put away a little cash each month or so and eventually get a built trans and get a converter. Also you can keep the tune a tad on the conservative side to try and prolong the stock trans if you wanted.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:22 AM
TECH Regular

im in your same shoes man, slowly building my 4.8 just to be safe i did a stall, trans cooler, corvette servo and a transgo shift kit.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jrmchevyman
You will never get a definitive answer on how much a stock 4L60E can hold up to. Numerous people are running at or around 400 flywheel HP on stock 4L60E trans with no issues, and some people some how toast stock 4L60E trans with a stock truck lol go figure.

With you being a ECSB it is a heavier vehicle and the stock 4L60E may or may not last you awhile with that much added power. Your driving habits is a factor too. I would get a tru cool 40K trans cooler and just run it.. Later on you can slowly put away a little cash each month or so and eventually get a built trans and get a converter. Also you can keep the tune a tad on the conservative side to try and prolong the stock trans if you wanted.
Ive been reading about the TM in the stock tune, and how it can be pulled with a performance tune. I think even with new cooler, servo, and shift kit, id most likely pull at the most 50% TM just to be safe. Im not super hard on my truck either, I dont like beating up what I spent my hard earned money on, I just want some good solid power when I feel like getting into it. The 4.8 in such a heavy truck just takes to long to get going, espcially driving around town.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mongooseboy000
im in your same shoes man, slowly building my 4.8 just to be safe i did a stall, trans cooler, corvette servo and a transgo shift kit.
Hows the drivability with the converter change and the shift kit, and was did it make a big difference

Mike
Old 03-04-2012, 02:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Shift will make it shift faster and firmer but will drive like stock. Now a converter will drive different and depending on the size and what stall speed makes it better for dd or better for all out performance.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 78T/a
Ive been reading about the TM in the stock tune, and how it can be pulled with a performance tune. I think even with new cooler, servo, and shift kit, id most likely pull at the most 50% TM just to be safe. Im not super hard on my truck either, I dont like beating up what I spent my hard earned money on, I just want some good solid power when I feel like getting into it. The 4.8 in such a heavy truck just takes to long to get going, espcially driving around town.
Well, if you followed up on reading that thread, you can completely pull TM while still salvaging the trans. A shift kit won't change driveability, but a stall will. Search up on info. concerning stalls on here--plenty of it available. As far as lifespan, if you really romped on the trans., it might just fail on you at the power level you plan and your weight as and ECSB, but there's no definitive way to tell. My suggestion would be to pull the trans. NOW, sell it, and use the money to buy an 80E w/ shift kit. Then, there's no worry. You can buy a built up 60E like plenty of people do, but the first option would be my pick. I'd just have it done and not bother with it ever again. I'm surprised you don't see more guys on here do that.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:23 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 78T/a
Hows the drivability with the converter change and the shift kit, and was did it make a big difference

Mike
its my daily driver. i have a cricle d 3200. with corvette servo shift kit and converter truck is amazing. it is very driveable on the street but when you floor it its a whole new truck. with my tune and all these mods im chirping 2nd with my 26" rims. not bad for a 4.8. make sure u get a trans cooler. id reccomend the tru cool 40k. its a beast, never see temps past 170 even during hard driving

Quick Reply: 4L60 Stock strength