Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4L60 Stock strength

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 10:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey 78t/a, how many miles do you have on that 60E? I'm in a similar boat with a 5.3, looking at around 400 hp, or close to that when I'm done, in an ECSB 4l60E 2wd w/ 150k. I'm very interested to hear what advice you get and which direction you go.

With the uncertainty of these transmission, I can't see see filling one with upgrades before it gets rebuilt. But then again, I don't know much about it. I went ahead with the vette servo and just dropped the pan to change the filter and no metal at all in the pan, just a little sludge.

Good Luck!
Old 03-04-2012, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CC05
Well, if you followed up on reading that thread, you can completely pull TM while still salvaging the trans. A shift kit won't change driveability, but a stall will. Search up on info. concerning stalls on here--plenty of it available. As far as lifespan, if you really romped on the trans., it might just fail on you at the power level you plan and your weight as and ECSB, but there's no definitive way to tell. My suggestion would be to pull the trans. NOW, sell it, and use the money to buy an 80E w/ shift kit. Then, there's no worry. You can buy a built up 60E like plenty of people do, but the first option would be my pick. I'd just have it done and not bother with it ever again. I'm surprised you don't see more guys on here do that.
Yah I did see that about the 100% TM removal but if even leaving 20% in just to help the tranny a bit more I may decide to leave some. I thought about the 4l80 because Im actually looking to put one into my 78 Trans Am, hah wonder what kind of deal I would get buying 2!!..Its hard to want to spend money on a transmission because it doest make you go faster, but its much needed. Im thinking I may need to tow my car from time to time to, so doing that with the 4l60 is defenetly asking for troubles
Old 03-04-2012, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KC_kid
hey 78t/a, how many miles do you have on that 60E? I'm in a similar boat with a 5.3, looking at around 400 hp, or close to that when I'm done, in an ECSB 4l60E 2wd w/ 150k. I'm very interested to hear what advice you get and which direction you go.

With the uncertainty of these transmission, I can't see see filling one with upgrades before it gets rebuilt. But then again, I don't know much about it. I went ahead with the vette servo and just dropped the pan to change the filter and no metal at all in the pan, just a little sludge.

Good Luck!
My 60E has about 104k miles on it. I believe in prevention maintenance so even modding a transmission behind a stock engine makes sense just to have it last. Im buying a house in a year or two, and accroding to the girfriend I better get the spending money on my car and truck thing out of my system, because she wont have any of that when we do get a place. I just would prefer to spend money on the go fast things ...
Old 03-05-2012, 10:17 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 78T/a
Hows the drivability with the converter change and the shift kit, and was did it make a big difference

Mike
took this video last night this might help. leisure cruise in chevy.MP4 - YouTube
Old 03-06-2012, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

I wouldn't even consider a 4l60 if i was in your shoes, go 80 and have some peace of mind. I've owned 3 4l60's in the last 2 years and broken 2 stockers with the factory 4.8 and one fully built 4l60 with a turbo charger making 400HP at the wheels.

Mind you this was all street driving.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 78T/a
Hows the drivability with the converter change and the shift kit, and was did it make a big difference

Mike
Just had the Circle D 2600-2800 RPM converter and cooler installed. It has been about a week. Here are my impressions. Really improved the driveability of the DD truck. Acceleration from dead stop is much better and the engine is at its sweet spot when driving. Other than my existing mickey mouse mods, the truck really has no other serious mods at 160k miles. Chris at Circle D answered most of my questions via email. After consideration, I went with the 2800 RPM converter over the 3200 RPM converter. I cant speak for others who have different brand converter and stall speed and other mods, however with the 2600-2800 Circle D converter, I am at a very comfortable "loose" feeling with the 2800 on the daily driver. I can't imagine going any higher on a daily driver(But to each man his own) Some may disagree, but this is my BUTT DYNO speaking if you will. Chris if your reading this, I mean nothing negative by it although you did recommend the 3200. If your on the fence about getting a Circle D converter, or any other reputable converter, just do it, you will love it.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vortecmax
Just had the Circle D 2600-2800 RPM converter and cooler installed. It has been about a week. Here are my impressions. Really improved the driveability of the DD truck. Acceleration from dead stop is much better and the engine is at its sweet spot when driving. Other than my existing mickey mouse mods, the truck really has no other serious mods at 160k miles. Chris at Circle D answered most of my questions via email. After consideration, I went with the 2800 RPM converter over the 3200 RPM converter. I cant speak for others who have different brand converter and stall speed and other mods, however with the 2600-2800 Circle D converter, I am at a very comfortable "loose" feeling with the 2800 on the daily driver. I can't imagine going any higher on a daily driver(But to each man his own) Some may disagree, but this is my BUTT DYNO speaking if you will. Chris if your reading this, I mean nothing negative by it although you did recommend the 3200. If your on the fence about getting a Circle D converter, or any other reputable converter, just do it, you will love it.
Nice, glad you got it all installed. You got a video of it?
Old 03-14-2012, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vortecmax
This is great! This particular converter is what I'm going to go with but hearing this still helps. I have one question, has your 160k truck had any transmission work done? I'm at 150k and worried that after I install a converter the tranny might go south.. But I dont want to rebuild a transmission that doesn't need it.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

4l60e with 56k miles. Has vette servo and a tune. Engine makes roughly 395whp/426wtq on juice.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

i got a stock 4l60e wit a vette servo, 270,000 miles pushin over 400hp wit no problems just get a 40k tranny cooler

Quick Reply: 4L60 Stock strength