Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4L60E= Dead again! 2 days old

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 10:36 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 789 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by 2BFAST
Last year I built my unit with the following:

Corvette intermediate servo
Sonnax billet overdrive servo
Double cage 29 element forward sprag
Low/Reverse spring roller
Alto red low/reverse clutches and Koleen steels
Alto carbon oversized 2/4 power band w/ reinforced anchor
New input drum/housing
Rebestos blue 3/4 clutches and Koleen steels
Rebestos blue overrun clutches and Koleen steels
Beast reaction shell
New reaction sun gear
GM rear 5 planetary gear set
Rear carrier ring gear
Thrust bearing kit
New upgraded babbot pump bushing
New case bushing
New extra wide sun gear bushing
Sonnax boost valve
Billet forward accumulator
Billet 1-2 accumulator
EPC Solenoid
Superier valve body shift correction kit
4L65-E overhaul kit(gaskets,seals, ect)
Updated valve body seperator plate
Billet 300m output shaft
Billet 300m input shaft
Billet input drum sleeve & piston
RPM high-rev spring kit
Modified case

SSS, 13lbs of boost, 50 shot nitrous, approx 5700lbs. Trans didnt engage 2nd gear, reved to 7200. Upon engine brake sheared the forward sprag. Never know when something is gonna go, specially when your heavy + power. Chances are greatly reduced when upgrading to an 80E but even at that anything can go. Its part of hot rodding fellas
I want to know were you got Both 300M Billet shafts from.
I have only ever seen the billet outputshafts...
Old 07-23-2011, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lingenfelter sells the 300m input...
Old 07-25-2011, 12:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silverz28camaro
Lingenfelter sells the 300m input...
I got my input and output from TCS (Torque Converter Shop) out of Lake Havasu, AZ. As well as the billet drum sleeve kit. I also sent him my input drum assembly and had him remove and install the billet input into the drum and install the sleeve as that process can be somewhat tricky

Last edited by 2BFAST; 07-25-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:33 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Thanks guys. Been trying to find one for a while. Now I just need to save up.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

...werd
Old 07-25-2011, 05:09 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

...werd
When I was looking 2 years ago I could not find one for the 60e FLT started adding them as an up grade but no one else knew were to get it from. They wanted to sale me whole trans that I just could not afoard at the time. They have great products but I would probably still be trying to pay it off. There very knowledgeable and helpful when I have asked questions. The new motor just sits waiting for me to finish the last few things and built a stout trans for it.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
When I was looking 2 years ago I could not find one for the 60e FLT started adding them as an up grade but no one else knew were to get it from. They wanted to sale me whole trans that I just could not afoard at the time. They have great products but I would probably still be trying to pay it off. There very knowledgeable and helpful when I have asked questions. The new motor just sits waiting for me to finish the last few things and built a stout trans for it.
Keep in mind, a 60E is a 60E. You can build a 60 with every performance part in it but at the end of the day its not designed for high horsepower/torque and its always a gamble. Shame on GM but it is what it is. The builder makes a difference as far as end play in the shafts, clearence in the clutches, ect. The 1st thing to remember to whoever builds it, you dont need rock crushing shifts. You want crisp firm shifts and thats it. The less the parts take the "shock" and movement the longer it will last. Also driving habits, constant WOT into 3rd and 4th, 4th to 2nd downshifts, ect will fail a unit in a minute.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:46 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Keep in mind, a 60E is a 60E. You can build a 60 with every performance part in it but at the end of the day its not designed for high horsepower/torque and its always a gamble. Shame on GM but it is what it is. The builder makes a difference as far as end play in the shafts, clearence in the clutches, ect. The 1st thing to remember to whoever builds it, you dont need rock crushing shifts. You want crisp firm shifts and thats it. The less the parts take the "shock" and movement the longer it will last. Also driving habits, constant WOT into 3rd and 4th, 4th to 2nd downshifts, ect will fail a unit in a minute.
I take pride in building my own stuff. My truck has 135k hard mikes but I always maintain it. The only reason I replaced the original trans was because the 3-4 clutch pack is starting to go out. Rather then drive till she blows, I obtained another one and rebuilt it to stock 4L65E an installed a circle d 2500 stall. Good for what it is but I don't need a 80e for this rig. It's a DD and I just want a little more power and make sure the 60e will hold up.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
I take pride in building my own stuff. My truck has 135k hard mikes but I always maintain it. The only reason I replaced the original trans was because the 3-4 clutch pack is starting to go out. Rather then drive till she blows, I obtained another one and rebuilt it to stock 4L65E an installed a circle d 2500 stall. Good for what it is but I don't need a 80e for this rig. It's a DD and I just want a little more power and make sure the 60e will hold up.
Cool, good luck w/ ur build man. Dont hesitate to ask questions. Theres a couple good trans techs on this board that always seem to chime in for good tech help

Old 07-25-2011, 10:18 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Cool, good luck w/ ur build man. Dont hesitate to ask questions. Theres a couple good trans techs on this board that always seem to chime in for good tech help

Yes there are several good people on here I commend them when they can share with the rest of us. There are several trans shops around but very few that are good at what they do... Been there delt with them at work... Would never let any one else work on my stuff. I have found it to be a lot cheaper to learn the correct way to do it my self and buy any tools needed then to pay some one else to keep screwing it up over and over.
LOL Ask EvilGMC... He knows first hand. 3 engines and a few tunners later and he has a stout power plant... Finally blows the 10 bolt apart. I helped him build his 14 bolt and the 80E let's go.... Should be bullet prof when he gets it back...

Quick Reply: 4L60E= Dead again! 2 days old