Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l60e to 4l80e shifter bracket/VSS question

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e to 4l80e shifter bracket/VSS question

I'm doing the 4L80E swap this next weekend and I can say I am starting to get extremely stressed out. This is my daily driver and I can't afford for it to be out for weeks on account of not having the right parts needed. I keep reading through hundreds of posts on all the swap write up's and keep finding little things that I don't see addressed in the main write up's

One of these is that someone was saying that you need to buy a longer shift rod or something, then fab/buy a custom bracket to hold the park/neutral switch. Reading through the main swaps- it seems everyone was saying you just need the bracket off the 80e and everything bolts right up to it.

My other question is about the 2nd VSS. I read from one post that the new VSS added plugs into the front most sensor, and the stock VSS that was originally on the 60e plugs to the rearmost (just want to confirm that this is right). Another thing, will the main pigtail harness reach to the 80e port? (since the 80e's plug in is on the drivers side, and the 60e is on the passenger side)

Also, here is the list of everything I have so far- can you guys let me know if I am missing anything?

flexplate off a 6.0L w/ spacer and bolts
(6) torque converter bolts
transmission cooler port for the rearmost on the case (with the long nipple)
4l80e shifter bracket
80e slip yoke/new u joint to take care of drive shaft length
wiring/tuning for the 2nd VSS
8 qts of dexron III
rubber hose to extend rear most cooler line
I have a dipstick from a 1998 5.7L that had the 80e.. don't want to take the chance to see if it will work so I bought a dipstick from 6.0L 2002+

thanks for the help, it is extremely appreciated
Old 07-24-2011, 09:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year 4l80e are you installing? The reason I ask is you questioned the linkage shaft and also being able to bolt up your neutral switch. If the 80e you have has bosses on the side of it for the switch you are fine here. Also the linkage shaft if you can slide your neutral switch on it it is the long one that you will need for your swap. With the 80e shifter cable bracket you got you are good to go here.

As far as the 02 dipstick tube this does need to be swapped but I think the stick itself can be reused and you should be fine IIRC. You are correct on the speed sensors and the main harness will reach IIRC from what I have read. It seems that you have most of this worked out and I'm sure some others will chime in here. I do think that I would get some more oil to be on the safe side. HTH Vince
Old 07-24-2011, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Vince B
What year 4l80e are you installing? The reason I ask is you questioned the linkage shaft and also being able to bolt up your neutral switch. If the 80e you have has bosses on the side of it for the switch you are fine here. Also the linkage shaft if you can slide your neutral switch on it it is the long one that you will need for your swap. With the 80e shifter cable bracket you got you are good to go here.

As far as the 02 dipstick tube this does need to be swapped but I think the stick itself can be reused and you should be fine IIRC. You are correct on the speed sensors and the main harness will reach IIRC from what I have read. It seems that you have most of this worked out and I'm sure some others will chime in here. I do think that I would get some more oil to be on the safe side. HTH Vince
it came off a 1998 2500

so the linkage shaft, I'm a little confused on it. I might or might not already have it on my 4l60e/park-neutral switch?

thanks for everything!
Old 07-25-2011, 06:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's not what I said. The linkage shaft is the part that neutral switch rides one and also connects to the inside of the transmission. This is the shaft that the linkage arm connects to that connect to your shifter cable. Does that make more sense? I'm pretty sure the unit will have this already installed.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:51 AM
Launching!

The NSS switch from your truck will go right on the 80e as long as its a newer model. And you need GM# 15013290 is the shifter cable bracket. And the wiring is plenty long enough.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by N20GMC
The NSS switch from your truck will go right on the 80e as long as its a newer model. And you need GM# 15013290 is the shifter cable bracket. And the wiring is plenty long enough.
the 80e is off a 1998, my truck is an 03. I guess I'll just have to see what I have to work with once I get started

Originally Posted by Vince B
That's not what I said. The linkage shaft is the part that neutral switch rides one and also connects to the inside of the transmission. This is the shaft that the linkage arm connects to that connect to your shifter cable. Does that make more sense? I'm pretty sure the unit will have this already installed.
oh now I see

thanks
Old 07-25-2011, 06:04 PM
TECH Resident

Hey could someone do me a favor? I just went to the stealership and bought the correct dipstick tube I need. It only cost $8!..... but here was the catch- the actual dipstick cost $50!

I was wondering if someone could measure the length of their 4l80e dipstick, maybe I might be able to reuse either the one from my 4l60e or from the 1998 80e dipstick I have. I would need it measured from the tip to the rubber part. Here is a picture of my 80e dipstick and its dimensions

Old 07-25-2011, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just measured my 2002 4l80e dipstick and its same 32.5" long like your picture.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by phasemaster1
Just measured my 2002 4l80e dipstick and its same 32.5" long like your picture.
thanks buddy! saved me from having a heart attack at the dealership! lol
Old 07-25-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where did you get the wiring for the second vss?

Quick Reply: 4l60e to 4l80e shifter bracket/VSS question