Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4L60E to 4L80E Wiring Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 07:42 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pinouts from a 4L80E truck:

Circuits 821/822 are VSS
Circuits 1231/1230 are ISS
Attached Thumbnails 4L60E to 4L80E Wiring Swap-c1-blu-.jpg   4L60E to 4L80E Wiring Swap-c2-red-.jpg   4L60E to 4L80E Wiring Swap-c3-clr-.jpg   4L60E to 4L80E Wiring Swap-c4-blk-.jpg   4L60E to 4L80E Wiring Swap-connectors.jpg  

4L60E to 4L80E Wiring Swap-iss-vss-connectors.jpg  

Last edited by DrX; 12-14-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a bunch Doc, now I just have to see if #7 and 8 are vacant on the 2000 v6 connectors--that will make it clear,,
uh wait--to connect the new iss connector at the sensor end-with the two unpinned wires from the round plug- they must be unpinned at the pcm plug ends and switched to the new location, can you enlighten us of the t and u locations at the black box 4 pcm connectors
like what "just dreamin' was saying in his post on ls1tech

"The large grey connector on the side of the trans pins out differently for the two transmissions. Pins affected are S, T, and U. On the 80E, locations T & U are not used, but the wire that is in U needs to be relocated to S (TCC lockup). Converting from 80E to 60E may be difficult (you need 2 more wires).

The ISS (Input Shaft) Speed Sensor on the 80E is on the side of the trans above the range selector / neutral safety switch. It requires 2 wires, so if you're going from a 60e to an 80E, you've got to move wires from the grey connector to a new connector for the ISS (and move the PCM end pins as well). Going from a 80E to a 60E will require moving the ISS wires into the grey connector (you'll need pins) and moving the PCM end pins around as well."

in his post there are Three wires S Tand U and the U brown one is shoved into the s position leaving two wires, so I -maybe will have two that can be un pinned at--~ whatever location they are in ~-- and plugged into the 1231 #7 and 1230 #8 circuts you disclosed,, wadya think?

as far as the usual bs details, the v6 crossmember bracket welded on in the middle is simply cut with a oxide cutoff wheel and flipped around 180 and zapped back on, and an entirely new shifter cable bracket -I gotta make because I don't got reliable transpo to go hunt a factory one, The torque converter I had turned out to be a / high stall so im running it, and then the # 447 -or 448 conversion u joint in front of a carbon fiber DS I had from an earlier 90's truck that's just the right length!, looks like I can even run the Penske van rear tranz line in the silverrado.

thanks for your input, truckeez
Old 12-15-2015, 08:39 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Truckeez
Thanks a bunch Doc, now I just have to see if #7 and 8 are vacant(they will be) on the 2000 v6 connectors--that will make it clear,,
uh wait--to connect the new iss connector at the sensor end-with the two unpinned wires from the round plug- they must be unpinned at the pcm plug ends and switched to the new location, can you enlighten us of the t and u locations at the black box 4 pcm connectors
like what "just dreamin' was saying in his post on ls1tech
If you want to use those wires for the ISS then remove them from the S(White) and T(Tan/Blk) positions on the round trans connector and from the C1 10 and C1 13 positions at the PCM. Not sure how easy it will be to get them over to C3 7 & 8. Or just run new wires from the ISS to C3 7 & 8. U(Tan) on the trans connector must be moved to position S for the 80E...the 80E still uses this circuit. T and U will be left empty.

"The large grey connector on the side of the trans pins out differently for the two transmissions. Pins affected are S, T, and U. On the 80E, locations T & U are not used, but the wire that is in U needs to be relocated to S (TCC lockup). Converting from 80E to 60E may be difficult (you need 2 more wires).

The ISS (Input Shaft) Speed Sensor on the 80E is on the side of the trans above the range selector / neutral safety switch. It requires 2 wires, so if you're going from a 60e to an 80E, you've got to move wires from the grey connector to a new connector for the ISS (and move the PCM end pins as well). Going from a 80E to a 60E will require moving the ISS wires into the grey connector (you'll need pins) and moving the PCM end pins around as well."

in his post there are Three wires S Tand U and the U brown one is shoved into the s position leaving two wires, so I -maybe will have two that can be un pinned at--~ whatever location they are in ~-- and plugged into the 1231 #7 and 1230 #8 circuts you disclosed,, wadya think?

as far as the usual bs details, the v6 crossmember bracket welded on in the middle is simply cut with a oxide cutoff wheel and flipped around 180 and zapped back on, and an entirely new shifter cable bracket -I gotta make because I don't got reliable transpo to go hunt a factory one, The torque converter I had turned out to be a / high stall so im running it, and then the # 447 -or 448 conversion u joint in front of a carbon fiber DS I had from an earlier 90's truck that's just the right length!, looks like I can even run the Penske van rear tranz line in the silverrado.

thanks for your input, truckeez
See my above responses in red as well as my diagram of the trans connector in post #1 of this thread.

The PCM will have to reprogrammed(trans segment swap with an 80E calibration). Where will you find matching files to do the segment swap? Need 2 files of the same OS, but one that came with a 60E and the other with a 80E.

Last edited by DrX; 12-15-2015 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DrX
See my above responses in red as well as my diagram of the trans connector in post #1 of this thread.

The PCM will have to reprogrammed(trans segment swap with an 80E calibration). Where will you find matching files to do the segment swap? Need 2 files of the same OS, but one that came with a 60E and the other with a 80E.
Again Doc, I appreciate all your efforts on everyone's behalf doing this swap,
about the pcm reprogram though( tranz segment swap)

what does "need 2 files of the same OS",--- what does OS stand for?

the main thing I want to ask now is, have you seen Slow67's thread concerning this reprogramming matter?
his Camaro is a 2000, I don't know it that is a 4 plug connector black box but I assume it is because the newer better blue red / 411 style pcm did not start showing up til 01 in express vans.
4L80 tune no longer *required* - LS1TECH
Old 12-16-2015, 06:46 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Truckeez
Again Doc, I appreciate all your efforts on everyone's behalf doing this swap,
about the pcm reprogram though( tranz segment swap)

what does "need 2 files of the same OS",--- what does OS stand for?

the main thing I want to ask now is, have you seen Slow67's thread concerning this reprogramming matter?
his Camaro is a 2000, I don't know it that is a 4 plug connector black box but I assume it is because the newer better blue red / 411 style pcm did not start showing up til 01 in express vans.
4L80 tune no longer *required* - LS1TECH
OS = operating system

For a 2000 4.3L/60E I see a 1191217777 in the HPTuners tune file repository. Don't see any matching OS for an 80E truck. Nothing at all in the EFILive tunefiledepot.com
Both HPTuners and EFILive require matching OS numbers in order to swap the trans segments between the two tunes. Without the segment swap your ECM will not have its outputs configured for the 80E. You will have to check the actual OS # of your tune.

The 2000 Camaro and the V8 trucks would have had the LS1 style(Red/Blue) PCM.

Other options include the "relay mod" method you linked to on LS1TECH, a standalone trans controller, or converting the 80E to full manual operation.

Last edited by DrX; 12-16-2015 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:36 AM

Default 80 harness

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
if anybody needs some help feel free to pm me. Ill give you my number and can walk you thru it.
can you call me andcwalk ke theough this garness situation pkease 3374000141
Old 02-03-2016, 07:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DrX
Pinouts from a 4L80E truck:

Circuits 821/822 are VSS
Circuits 1231/1230 are ISS

DrX, ole buddy, im now interested in swapping in the 2001-2 411 pcm from a whatever v6 vehicle,

the 2001-2 3/4 ton express van that ran the 4.3 and 4l80e wiring diagram would be most helpful,
do you got acess to that diagram? thanks~ truckeez

the 2001-2 astro vans also ran the 411 -with that pos 4l60e.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:30 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Twinturbo08
can you call me andcwalk ke theough this garness situation pkease 3374000141
He is no longer active on this site.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
The 60e has 13 wires in the connector..

The 80e has 11 wires in the connector..

I put both the pics together so it does look like removing 2 wires and moving one of them should do the trick.. i just need a diagram of a 80E to verify.

So rather than adding wiring all the way back to the PCM for the ISs sensor can't you just use the two un used wires from terminals s and t, crimp a new ISs pigtail on them and then rep in them at the PCM?
Old 03-04-2016, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiddys427
So rather than adding wiring all the way back to the PCM for the ISs sensor can't you just use the two un used wires from terminals s and t, crimp a new ISs pigtail on them and then rep in them at the PCM?
Use the search noob nugget!

Just busting your *****. You're somewhat correct, here is some documentation. Its how I did it. No crimping though. You just move a couple wires about in the PCM harness!

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...7/#post5092887

Quick Reply: 4L60E to 4L80E Wiring Swap