Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l60e issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 03:51 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
i dunno levels, levels dont always mean ****.

i told him my needs and he put in what was need. he spoke of it but so much was added in i cant remember. he knew i was going to be spraying and was planing on being in the neighborhood of mid 500s to the wheels in torque. thats one reason we did the vaccum mod. but im just wondering what actually broke and i guess i wont know till this week if he can get to it. ill see if he can make it a priority if possible to have me on the road asap. not saying its his fault at all.

but maybe having all that pressure for the 1-2 shift wasnt the best. figure billet servo, HD-C with full race springs, 2 shims in accumulator, vaccum mod. and before somone says what was line pressure in the tune. it was set at stock specs

this just goes to show power will always find the weakest link possible

I'll tell you what everyone told me, and I wish I had listened. Swap to an 80E and don't waste your time with the 60E. I told my builder what my goals were, and he told me "no problem"!! 4 months and 5 trannies later, he refunded my money and told me he was scared of my truck. I broke a parking gear, input drum, output shaft, shredded the clutches in the converter, and toasted a 2-4 band. Each was on a different build. There was no consistency in the parts that were breaking. Do it right and don't worry about it again.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:05 AM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the only problem with swapping over to an 80 is that there is so much parasitic loss with it that some people blow their 60's with a little power mod and a built one will be fine cuz there just arent THAT maney people that are pulling enough power to get to 80 good and moving. many people are perfectly set with level 3/4/5 FLT's and whatnot but like you, those with the radix, should bump to the 80 i guess cuz of the amount of power.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:38 AM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Soon2bSpooled
the only problem with swapping over to an 80 is that there is so much parasitic loss with it that some people blow their 60's with a little power mod and a built one will be fine cuz there just arent THAT maney people that are pulling enough power to get to 80 good and moving. many people are perfectly set with level 3/4/5 FLT's and whatnot but like you, those with the radix, should bump to the 80 i guess cuz of the amount of power.
i went with non boosted power. i choose to make power by cam/CR/intake and then juice. and dont think this combo is down on power at all.

i dont want to go 80e if i dont have to. one it costs alot more, two i already got all this money into this trans. cause hell i just spent like 900 on a converter

so ill drop it off at tranny shop and see how much he'll take care of. going to do some research and might see about getting billet shafts
Old 05-14-2006, 09:25 PM

i'd just get the 60 built as much heavy as you can and if it blows then you'll know you need an 80 and have to spend the extra dough for the converter again.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Junkie

i'd just get the 60 built as much heavy as you can and if it blows then you'll know you need an 80 and have to spend the extra dough for the converter again.
Ya but wasting money on BUILT 60E only to find out you need a 80E is exactly that....a waste...IMO.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:54 PM

wasting money on a thick 80e when all you need is a built 60e especially after a wasted grand on the 60 converter is a waste too. many people are runnign with alot of power with a VERY built 60 and are doing fine, i guess its just the quality of the build that you are getting and how much faith you have in your builder/transmission
Old 05-15-2006, 01:30 AM
5 year bitches!

i looked at what makes a level 5 from FLT and it seems like the only things i dont have are the shafts/drums/gear sets everything else i had. so put race parts on weak internals and you get what i got.

honestly if it comes down to me needing a 80e, ill just demod teh truck
Old 05-15-2006, 06:27 AM

so you think if it cam to you needing an 80 you would demod the truck and be done with it forever to spite buying an 80? why not just upgrade the tranny and be done with it?
Old 05-15-2006, 11:28 AM
5 year bitches!

so you think if it cam to you needing an 80 you would demod the truck and be done with it forever to spite buying an 80? why not just upgrade the tranny and be done with it?
to much work for my interest. this was suppose to be a fun vehicle now im at the point im breaking **** and i didnt even get to use my poweradder. so if this keeps it up im just going to pull this built LQ9 and toss in my old 5.3 or find another LQ9 and put it in stock.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:05 PM

that just sounds weird ro me. spend al this money, make enough power to break stuff which is commendable in it self then pull it all out and just be done....if i was in the position i would just put the best transmission in the truck and know that you are safe for whatever you throw at it. in the end wont you stil have that knack for power that you dont have with the stock engine? like an addiction per say

Quick Reply: 4l60e issues