Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l60e issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 03:29 PM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder550
Gotcha, I'll leave it alone then. I hope you get it working
yea its cool. i sure hope i get it working cause im really pissed right now about it. it started as a fun project then it kept snowballing into basically a race setup that i thought would hold together on the street
Old 05-16-2006, 03:39 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The loud bangs I got on WOT shifts like you are talking about were the input drum and ouput shaft, each on a different build. Input drum went on a WOT 2-3 shift and output shaft went on a WOT 1-2 shift. Check to be sure that your shift pressures are still set at stock, I had bumped mine up very slightly right before I started breaking parts. With the shift kit you should be running with the stock settings. Unless....you said you had the vac mod kit, then your PCM shift pressures wouldn't matter. Did you zero out the desired shift times in your tune to disable adaptive learning? Not that it will make you break parts, but you should do it anyway. It makes the shifting weird if you leave non-zero numbers in there.

Anyway, if you get the upgraded shafts and drums hopefully that will solve your problem.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:49 PM
5 year bitches!

Originally Posted by thunder550
The loud bangs I got on WOT shifts like you are talking about were the input drum and ouput shaft, each on a different build. Input drum went on a WOT 2-3 shift and output shaft went on a WOT 1-2 shift. Check to be sure that your shift pressures are still set at stock, I had bumped mine up very slightly right before I started breaking parts. With the shift kit you should be running with the stock settings. Unless....you said you had the vac mod kit, then your PCM shift pressures wouldn't matter.

Anyway, if you get the upgraded shafts and drums hopefully that will solve your problem.
only thing done to the trans as for tuning was i had shift points set at 6500rpms. i told him i wanted stock pressure since i had a shift kit but like you said with the vaccum mod it elimnates all that. like said i have teh HD-2C shift kit, billet 1-2 servo and 4th servo along with 2 shims in the acculator and of course teh vaccum mod. had the 5 clutch pak installed, basically everything but the shafts/drums/sunshell and etc. once the trans guy opens it up for me and see what went wrong then ill go from there.

since they run hardned shafts in the FLTs i know of a place around here that probably could hardend my shafts [haha thats funny] anyways if that would be cheaper then having to buy it from another company i will try that. honestly if i can get this back together for only a few bucks more then i do now ill be happy. for a FLT level 5 for that price its to much for me to spend knowing all ireally need is the internals.

as the trans sits i have 500 into a brand new PI vigante 3800 3 clutch pak 9.5 converter [owner needed money bad]
885 into building the trans with parts[builder was doing mine as the first one to start to sell locally to the racers. he knew exactly what we i needed but i guess didnt think of the shafts/etc]
160 into servos
80 into shift kit
150 into trans pan.

so if i get away with 500 bucks or so into the shafts and then him swapping everything over ill be content but if its going ot cost alot more then. im done with it. if i need a donor trans thats not a problem. i got a few to choose from if needed.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:12 PM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i guess you need to quit with it when it turns from a fun project into a hassle and too much time. i hope i never reach this point in my modifying career...
Old 05-17-2006, 10:34 AM
5 year bitches!

found out trans is repaired already, and the plantatery gears went on it. and they were the upgraded ones to 5

so hopefully tonight have it together once again
Old 05-17-2006, 11:19 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear its taken care of. Ive broke a few 60's (7 I think) and finally went with a FLT simpley (sp I know) because I didnt trust anyone around town, and couldnt wait on a buddy of mine, not far from town.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:17 PM
9 Second Club

thunder550, you got yours built by Jim at Transformance...no wonder you like it so much. He is gonna put the Rossler t-brake in mine if i ever get my car back together
Old 05-17-2006, 12:31 PM
High on diesel fumes

Originally Posted by cablebandit
thunder550, you got yours built by Jim at Transformance...no wonder you like it so much. He is gonna put the Rossler t-brake in mine if i ever get my car back together
Yep Jim was great to work with and the tranny is working very well so far. What's up with your car?
Old 05-17-2006, 03:36 PM
9 Second Club

cracked a cylinder liner. Apparently 700+ on turbo and another 125 shot on 93 octane isnt a great idea. Heat got her...blued the spark plugs even.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:42 PM
High on diesel fumes

Ouch, that sucks. How long you think it's down for?

Quick Reply: 4l60e issues