Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l60e issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder550
LOL mine spent more time on a tow truck than under it's own power for about 2 months
So far mine has only been towed once from tranny failure.If it does go for some reason....i have a 2 year warrenty on parts and labor with unlimited mileage.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:32 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TouchOfEvil04
So far mine has only been towed once from tranny failure.If it does go for some reason....i have a 2 year warrenty on parts and labor with unlimited mileage.
Damn dude can't beat an unlimited mile warranty!! That was the deciding factor in my last 4L60E buy, and the guy rebuilt it 3 times under warranty before he gave up and refunded my money Said it was too expensive for him to keep rebuilding it.

Seriously, we have AAA and 3 free tows every year. I burned all three up in three months, then I had to pay for the 4th. Luckily, the last break happened right down the street from my house and I was able to coast into the driveway, didn't have to have it towed anywhere that time.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:40 AM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

where did you find someone to warranty their build? that seems like a pretty good deal to me
Old 05-21-2006, 04:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No matter how many times it's explained and shown over and over, people still equate violent hard shifts how "well" a transmission is built. So, AGAIN - any 700R4-based transmission set up to shift that firm will live a short life. The parts, no matter how much you spend on them, are not robust enough to handle tire-chirping violent shifts. They need to be set up to shift smoothly to minimize torque spikes on the hard parts. Clutch material is intended to be expendable - let it absorb and disipate the energy. It really is that uncomplicated.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:37 AM

i see what you mean, just because it can take the hard shifts a few times doesnt mean that thats what it was built for and doesnt mean it will last forever under those circumstances
Old 05-21-2006, 10:03 AM
5 year bitches!

race parts=short life
stock parts=longivity

this is very common sense, this is why there is so much more on the plate with a tune vs a stock tune. vehicles are tuned from the factory to meet all cirumstances not just one
Old 05-21-2006, 10:22 AM

race parts are built to uphold to harsh conditions, i guarantee if you put a built tranny in an otherwise bone stock truck then it would outlast the stock 4l60e no problem. its not that the parts have such a short life more than the fact that when people start putting race parts in their vehicles, the are usually putting out some good power which is was destroys parts. why would they make transmission parts aftermarket for a whole lot more money if they couldnt uphold the stock's standards?
Old 05-21-2006, 10:28 AM
5 year bitches!

Originally Posted by Soon2bSpooled
race parts are built to uphold to harsh conditions, i guarantee if you put a built tranny in an otherwise bone stock truck then it would outlast the stock 4l60e no problem. its not that the parts have such a short life more than the fact that when people start putting race parts in their vehicles, the are usually putting out some good power which is was destroys parts. why would they make transmission parts aftermarket for a whole lot more money if they couldnt uphold the stock's standards?
stock is for normal driving. 60s have lived long lifes under normal situations. its when you get into harsh driving when they get worn and destroyed.

if you think race parts are made for longivity take alook at prostock and etc they tear down each round. look at your 9 or 10 cars that race every week. they freshend up each year just to make sure.

race trans behind a stock normal truck is a waste
Old 05-21-2006, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Quik
stock is for normal driving. 60s have lived long lifes under normal situations. its when you get into harsh driving when they get worn and destroyed.

if you think race parts are made for longivity take alook at prostock and etc they tear down each round. look at your 9 or 10 cars that race every week. they freshend up each year just to make sure.

race trans behind a stock normal truck is a waste
pro stock racers are putting down more than 1000 hp, that will destroy anything. a race trans in a stock truck is a waste because it is so much more expensive and will last longer than the truck. im talking about under the same conditions the built trans will outlast the stock one no matter what which proves that race parts are stronger or why would people put them in...you dont get better ET's with hardened output shafts....you get hardened output shafts because they will last longer
Old 05-21-2006, 11:01 AM
5 year bitches!

Originally Posted by Soon2bSpooled
pro stock racers are putting down more than 1000 hp, that will destroy anything. a race trans in a stock truck is a waste because it is so much more expensive and will last longer than the truck. im talking about under the same conditions the built trans will outlast the stock one no matter what which proves that race parts are stronger or why would people put them in...you dont get better ET's with hardened output shafts....you get hardened output shafts because they will last longer
whats the longest life of a 60 you seen? ive seen over 200k in a work truck. ive never once seen a race setup go even close to that

Quick Reply: 4l60e issues