Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4L60E... On its way out... Grrr

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 12:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4L60E... On its way out... Grrr

Okay.. so today my check engine light comes on. I had just installed the efans, so i thought no biggie.. i'll check the code and see whats up... i thought maybe i didnt tighten one side of the intake. Well as soon as i notice the check engine light on.. it goes off like 2 mins later.

I was crusing on the interstate when this happened and when i got off the exit i floored it to try to beat the traffic light up ahead... it seemed like my converter went into lock up and in 4th gear with the pedal to the floor the rpms went to 2500 and just STOPPED. So i slammed on my brakes and came to a skidding stop... not knowing wtf was going on. At this time, the check engine light comes BACK on and has been that way for a week now.

I have yet to check the code... I dont have constant access to anything like that.. but I have a few friends that work at AAMCO and they are going to check it out for me... but every-once-in-a-while the converter will feel like its in lock up.. only way to get it out of its "lock up" is to manually drop it into gear on the column. After that it'll be fine in gear.

Today, after I changed the oil and added some stop slip to the tranny fluid...it did it again... Freaked me the hell out.. i dont understand, and now i think its slipping maybe? I'm going to have it re-tuned to have just %50 tq management (as of now.. i have NO tq management), than replace the fuild and filter.

Whatever is wrong with it.. its a good time to think about a 4l65e or 80e... anyone know of any for a good price on ebay or if anyone has one with under 50K miles?

Thanks for any input!

- Joe n' Tiffany.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:11 AM
TECH Junkie

I have a built 4l60e I will be selling in a few weeks. I'm gonna have new clutches put in it and checked out before I sell it.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

did you pull the codes?
Old 06-13-2005, 11:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Hey quicksilverado.. shoot me a PM about that Tranny and let me kno how much and i'll meet up with ya.

Gonzo- no i havent yet.. ive been working so much that i havent had the chance yet.

I talked to someone tonite about it, they said that possibly its tq management.. but I dont have ANY... i wonder if the converter that i had installed isnt tightened up right or something (i didnt do the converter myself), bc its only been <2k miles on this particular converter.. but idk... TTT.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:25 AM
TECH Veteran

So....
The trans has always been fine and then recently you paid to have a converter installed(used?) and was it perfect after that? or did it act weird right away? Or all of a sudden?
Old 06-14-2005, 04:49 AM
TECH Junkie

P.m. sent.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.0
So....
The trans has always been fine and then recently you paid to have a converter installed(used?) and was it perfect after that? or did it act weird right away? Or all of a sudden?
Its a tb stall.. so it was rebuilt i beleive. It was all of a sudden.. i doubt it the converter.. im bringing it somewhere this weekend when i get off of work.

Thx for the help tho.. if anyone has any other input let me kno...I dont kno if i should spend money on a rebuild or not.. i really dont want to spend over 500 bucks for anything... Quicksilverado shot me a great deal on a built 60e.. but idk if i can afford that either.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:04 AM
TECH Veteran

So you think it was conicidence the trans gave you problems after the TB coverter install?
Old 06-16-2005, 02:19 PM
TECH Junkie

The converter has been in there for about 3 months now... so idk if that could cause that or not after some time.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would definatley lean RIGHT toward the convertor...you said b4 you installed the vertor that whoever you bought it from had it rebuilt right??? Well if you knew exactly what it was rebuilt for then that might help to clear things up. But I want to say or really I want to guess that it would be the torque convertor. The SES light will only come on after so many miles of driving unless it recognizes a problem while in a closed loop. Since you have to be in park in order to be in a closed loop then your TQ convertor wouldn't register until its in motion, and in that case the loop is now open. It probably mimics exactly what the TQ convertor does, In the sense that you say the SES light comes on then goes off, Your Vertor slips sometimes and sometimes it doesnt!!! If it had anything to do with the intake or exhaust or anything that is always in use whether its in drive or not then the SES light will come on and stay on!!!