Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4L60E No 2nd Gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I’ve had several 4l60s, don’t have the valve body driledl for firm or racing shifts, just a little over stock and leave the pressures alone too. Sonnax sells a variable pressure mod for the trans so you still get a nice shift instead of a kick in the kidneys every time you shift that will ruin your case and break your output shaft
Old 04-09-2024, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1redta
I’ve had several 4l60s, don’t have the valve body driledl for firm or racing shifts, just a little over stock and leave the pressures alone too. Sonnax sells a variable pressure mod for the trans so you still get a nice shift instead of a kick in the kidneys every time you shift that will ruin your case and break your output shaft
I'm using the Sonnax "Performance Pack" which has the progressive pressure feature you mentioned. I agree totally, I'm not interested in lurching from 1st to 2nd at low speeds, that's for sure!
Old 04-10-2024, 07:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Not one to argue it but I've built a bunch of 4L60es over the last 30 years and haven't lost a set of altos ever on mine or customers I've used em on.
Is it on a particular brand of tranny you've had the alto failures on now I'm damm curious. Like I said tons of great parts use what you have had best luck with.
Old 04-12-2024, 07:39 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
It is a nice piece
For your application, likely overkill.
Just go with the sonnax Heavy Duty 3-4 Clutch Backing Plate Kit 74140-01K I already mentioned
Sorry to Hi-jack, I'm trying to avoid making my own post for this.

Does anybody know where you get the clutches and steels for that Smart-Tech® Input Housing Kit with Heavy Duty Input Shaft? i can't find the clutch or steel frictions thicknesses the instructions recommends anywhere
Page 2 Step 1
Old 04-12-2024, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BILLY!!!!
Sorry to Hi-jack, I'm trying to avoid making my own post for this.

Does anybody know where you get the clutches and steels for that Smart-Tech® Input Housing Kit with Heavy Duty Input Shaft? i can't find the clutch or steel frictions thicknesses the instructions recommends anywhere
Page 2 Step 1
Either Summit or Jeg's has it as a Sonnax kit. Sonnax part number 77734-01k. Jeg's part number is the same with an 852 prefix, so 852-77734-01k. Roughly $165.
Old 04-12-2024, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Northeastconfederate
Either Summit or Jeg's has it as a Sonnax kit. Sonnax part number 77734-01k. Jeg's part number is the same with an 852 prefix, so 852-77734-01k. Roughly $165.
you gotta be kidding me, I've been trying to find this for over a year and it was right in front of me, I'm dumb AF
Old 04-16-2024, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BILLY!!!!
you gotta be kidding me, I've been trying to find this for over a year and it was right in front of me, I'm dumb AF
🤣🤣🤣 Hidden in plain sight...
Old 05-08-2024, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

I'm back on this transmission job, finally. Got it disassembled today. The pan was full of friction material, and when I removed the band, I found where it came from. The band is worn to almost nothing and the drum is smoked! I haven't disassembled and inspected the clutch packs yet. I may have to buy a spring compressor; the one I made for Benz transmissions doesn't seem to quite fit. Maybe I can modify it adequately. I sure don't want to have to wait around for a tool to show up....

Friction material in the pan

Here's the smoked drum with friction material stuck to it in places

And the band with its friction material worn almost completely off

I'm really surprised this thing didn't slip in 4th gear considering how worn the band is. I get that it's a different servo that applies the band in 4th, but still.

I have the Sonnax upgrade parts and a new drum. But I don't have any seals or clutches. Hopefully I won't have to wait too long for those. I probably should have gotten them ahead of time, but I wanted to get in the trans and see what else I might need.
Old 05-08-2024, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

MaroonMonster, if you read this, what's your opinion: Should I glue the magnets to the new, deep aluminum pan?

Also, that pan came with a cork gasket. Use it? Or something else?
Old 05-10-2024, 08:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Cork gasket is fine
Torque evenly starting by going to the 4 corners first then around in a circle.
108 inch lbs on the tq wrench

Tq it...take a 5 minute break...then at the same tq setting go around in a circle 1 more time.
Pan gasket will never have an issue

As for the magnets.
If you get a filter that has metal top and plastic bottom, there is often some room to fit a magnet there. That works well
Or you can stick one to the park linkage bracket
Or you can glue a couple to the bottom of the pan

Realistically...it's ok to run 2 or 3 magnets
Debris is inevitable after a failure and when rebuilding so magnets help catch it and reduce overall contamination in the unit
The following 3 users liked this post by MaroonMonsterLS1:
1FastBrick (05-11-2024), Northeastconfederate (05-10-2024), strutaeng (05-10-2024)

Quick Reply: 4L60E No 2nd Gear