Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4L60E P1870 code and Shift Kit HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 10:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E P1870 code and Shift Kit HELP!

Hello everyone!

I have now encountered the harsh 1-2 shift three times (over about 3 months) and then it just goes away, but I never received the SES light until this past weekend when it happened again. Now, of course, I have the P1870 code (comes up twice actually for some reason). I also have the common surging in overdrive when you have the slight load on the engine and driving at about 45-55 MPH (been that way since I have had the truck at 59k, current mileage 90k).

I have read many threads and info on the Internet about the many 4L60E issues and fixes and have decided to go with installing a TransGo Shift Kit. I believe from everything I have read that this is the best solution instead of just installing the Sonnex TCC with boring out the valve body. The TransGo HD2 kit seems to be the most complete kit out there, fixes the issues with the 1-2 shift and surging, and allows for 3 different stages when installing.

So, now here are my questions:

1) I have never worked on transmissions and I am not sure I should attempt to do this myself, but every trans shop I have contacted in the Denver area says they do not recommend a shift kit and actually want to rebuild my trans from around $1600-$2400 and that is only standard parts! I have been told numerous times that the only way to fix the P1870 code is to remove the trans and rebuild it. I know that is crap, but does anyone know of a trans shop in the Denver area that will just install the shift kit? I would even consider someone wanting to earn side money that knows how to do this.
2) Is there anything else I should consider instead of a shift kit? Better or easier solution?
3) What stage should I go with for my stock trans? After all I read, I figured Stage 2 programming would be best for me.

Please, I really would like some help on this, any experience or ideas are most welcome.
Thanks in advance!