Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4L60E Transgo & Servo Install Tips

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E Transgo & Servo Install Tips

I want to beef up my 4L60E a bit in my mostly stock 03' ECSB. I got the Transgo HD2 shift kit, the Vette servo, and the Sonnix servo control valve that helps the 2-3 binding issue. I have been reading several threads on installing the kit and I am going to get a local pro to do it for me. I just need to know exactly what to tell him for the install.

There are several options of springs to use for firmness. I want a good firm shift, but this is my DD. I will also be getting a tune soon as well if that is needed for proper operation as well. I know people keep saying something about drilling a 3rd hole for the Vette servo. I'm trying to figure out exactly where the holes are to be drilled and what sizes they need to be.

Also, some use the washers in the kit and some don't so Im not sure what to go with there. I have 3.42's right now, but plan on going with 3.73's later on with a 3k stall (if that matters). I hear a lot of issues with people saying it feels like they are starting in 2nd gear after this install so I need to know what they are doing that could cause this so I can avoid this and any other issues.

Last edited by bluebird71; 11-05-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bluebird71
There are several options of springs to use for firmness. I want a good firm ****, but this is my DD. I will also be getting a tune soon as well if that is needed for proper operation as well. I know people keep saying something about drilling a 3rd hole for the Vette servo. I'm trying to figure out exactly where the holes are to be drilled and what sizes they need to be. Also, some use the washers in the kit and some don't so Im not sure what to go with there. I have 3.42's right now, but plan on going with 3.73's later on with a 3k stall (if that matters). I hear a lot of issues with people saying it feels like they are starting in 2nd gear after this install so I need to know what they are doing that could cause this so I can avoid this and any other issues.
Lmao!
Old 11-04-2012, 11:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check the stickies section for a good write up on the vette servo install.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by addy's240
Lmao!
You got me, lol! Thats what I get for posting from my phone. I'll edit it.

Anyway, I have read a lot of the stickies and saw the writeup on the servo, but can't find a lot of definitive answers on which springs to go with in the kit as well as some of the other questions I had.

Last edited by bluebird71; 11-05-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that I have made many posts on this topic. To be honest if your trans pro is not familiar with this kit then you might just be going to the wrong guy. The main thing I see with this kit is that the 1-2 shift always seems to be a complaint. I like to drill the 1-2 feed hole to the small side and also use the least amount of washers in the 1-2 accumulator housing. On the 2-3 and 3-4 hole I always drill them pretty large. Reason being is there is less of a load when these shifts happen and less noticeable IMO. I drill the 2-3 somewhere between .105-.110 and the 3-4 about .100.

If your 1-2 acc housing has a production number that starts with an eight then you will not need to install any of the plain steel washers just the gold spring seat. If the production number on your housing starts with a two then you will have to install one of the washers with the gold spring seat. If you do not its my opinion that the seat will bend and get damaged. In some cases when the 1-2 shift is to firm its best to leave the factory springs in the housing and just replace the piston with an aluminum one. I also recommend this for the forward acc in the valve body.

From there follow the directions and you should be good to go. I do add the sonnax hd2-3 shift valve and also a couple new abuse plugs to these valve bodies. Also I recommend that the bores for the accumulators be buffed with scotch bright. Its been a while since I have installed one of these kits and have switched over to the sonnax hp kit for my builds with some added sonnax parts and the TG 7-cs kit for the input drum. I do however leave out the bleed orifice in the 7-cs kit because I feel this crease to much of a leak in the 3-4 clutch with the way I build the unit. Best of luck on your install. Vince
Old 11-06-2012, 10:29 AM
Teching In

I bought the Sonnax Performance Pack and Transgo sep plate, among other things and had good results.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^Do you mean a performance CLUTCH pack? If not, what all is included in a kit like that?
Old 11-07-2012, 07:57 PM

Sonnax - Aftermarket replacement transmission, torque converter, and high performance automotive parts
Old 11-08-2012, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

2 more questions:

1) Is the Transgo seperaror plate included in the HD2 shift kit?

2) Can everything in the Sonnax Performance Pack be put in without dropping the trans?
Old 11-09-2012, 05:11 AM

Blue bird no the tg plate is not included and yes the sonnax kit can be installed without dropping the trans. If you look at the link I gave you it also has install directions!

Quick Reply: 4L60E Transgo & Servo Install Tips