Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4L60E Transmission Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
I was just looking at your fquick page and it says you live in Bloomingdale! Howdy neighbor!
That is where I am from, but have been away for some time as I have been active duty army. I do come back once or twice a year on leave normally when I am not deployed. My next time back there ought to be in January since I will be getting leave after this deployment ends in December. Weren't you in Wood Dale before? Did you move the shop, or do you just live there in Bloomingdale?

Oh...by the way...The Fquick page hasn't been updated in a little while. Just wait till I am back, and this biuld on the truck starts!
Old 10-12-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bai78
I'm not certain on the specific year model but pre '98 4l60e's had better internals. They changed from certain hardened parts to the plastic crap to save on cost.
Well the one that is in there now is a stock re build, and the truck is a 97, but there is no way of me knowing what parts were used in the re build. I just want the thing to handle driving duties for about 6 months after the motor is done if possible. If it looks like I have to swap it, i want to do it when I do the engine to make it easier. It is all about the money though right now though. I have it, but wanted to use it to pay off other things, but if it comes down to doing the swap sooner to avoid a breakdown on the road, I will.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by built408
All the electronics are exactly the same. Internals are basically the same. The newer ones have a different input shaft, stator tube, and a removable bell housing. Your year model trans is prone to breaking the reaction sun shell. If you can get your hands on something newer, I would look for an 04+, or if you can get your hands on a 4L65 or 4L70e that would be even better.

this guy... is exactly right.

Originally Posted by bai78
I'm not certain on the specific year model but pre '98 4l60e's had better internals. They changed from certain hardened parts to the plastic crap to save on cost.
the only plastic parts is a piece on top of the pump rotor and a couple of washers. none of which ever breaks. the input shaft in the older is smaller and more prone to braeking and the reaction shell breaks more often.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

still knowing this doesn't help my question too much. I have no doubt that I will need to upgrade, the question is how soon? Will my stock lt style 4L60E most likely hold if I "drive it nice for 6 months or so? Estimating 450 or so to the wheels under WOT. However, this is a daily driver, and gets a lot of miles. I don't beat on it unless I get off road with it (which will not happen until my move is complete). That is what I have the Camaro in my sig for if i want to act stupid. Normal driving with the occasional 3/4 throttle to pass at speed on the hwy is going to be the deal with this till i am settled after my move.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

If you are not having problems with it now & drive it "normally" while doing the maintenance, the tranny will last more than long enough for you to get settled & swap the FLT.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's what I was thinking, but was not too sure. Wanted to get some other oppinions.