Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l60e went BOOM

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 01:09 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While yes in the forums you hear about built units breaking it seems alot bear in mind people dont generally post how good there unit is working they only post when they break And to give you some idea of just how many are out there we ourselves have over 2300 units out there im sure many other venders have similar or higher numbers. So take "ALWAYS SEEING THEM BREAK" with a grain of salt as it it realive to numbers, As to the OP I would agree something in the input drum or front planet seems likley.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ieatpeople
wouldn't that prevent the truck from having reverse and park? because then the shaft would just spin...

i don't claim to know how the internals of an auto trans work, but from all the threads i've read about the 4l60e it seems that the sprag or the input drum are the likely culprits here.

sleeper mentioned gear ratio playing into it, i have 3.42's out back, and since its 4wd i don't wanna spend $1k or more on a gear swap.
Usually its the front end of the output shaft that breaks.. this is where 1st 2nd and 3rd gear are operated from. Reverse spins the rear end of the output shaft. if you have seen a pic of an output shaft there are 2 sets of splines... the break is usually in the middle allowing for reverse to still be operational...but lots of vibrations are felt..
Old 10-18-2011, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by performabuilt
While yes in the forums you hear about built units breaking it seems alot bear in mind people dont generally post how good there unit is working they only post when they break And to give you some idea of just how many are out there we ourselves have over 2300 units out there im sure many other venders have similar or higher numbers. So take "ALWAYS SEEING THEM BREAK" with a grain of salt as it it realive to numbers, As to the OP I would agree something in the input drum or front planet seems likley.
i would agree with this. it shifted fantastically, left about 10ft of rubber on the 1-2 shift, and the 2-3 was very quick with a nice firm bump. no signs of anything bad at all, just suddenly, boom.

Originally Posted by silverz28camaro
Usually its the front end of the output shaft that breaks.. this is where 1st 2nd and 3rd gear are operated from. Reverse spins the rear end of the output shaft. if you have seen a pic of an output shaft there are 2 sets of splines... the break is usually in the middle allowing for reverse to still be operational...but lots of vibrations are felt..
ah, ok. now that makes sense. guess we'll find out once i get it back to the builder.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:47 PM

I would bet good money on..... you have a broken output shaft.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would agree with this. it shifted fantastically, left about 10ft of rubber on the 1-2 shift, and the 2-3 was very quick with a nice firm bump. no signs of anything bad at all, just suddenly, boom.

ah, ok. now that makes sense. guess we'll find out once i get it back to the builder.
Theres your problem...make sure to soften the 1-2 shift...many different ways to do this, tune, accum, springs, servos, 2nd gear feed hole size....
Old 10-19-2011, 06:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, it seems alot of you guys were correct. i pulled the transfer case last night, and then i pulled the remains of the output shaft out right behind it.

just gotta borrow a trans jack so i can take it out of the truck, and then pack it up for shipping.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:11 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vince B
I would bet good money on..... you have a broken output shaft.
I've seen a lot of that in this forum...glad that my builder put billet shafts in my 65E
Old 10-19-2011, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, it seems alot of you guys were correct. i pulled the transfer case last night, and then i pulled the remains of the output shaft out right behind it.

just gotta borrow a trans jack so i can take it out of the truck, and then pack it up for shipping.
What did you do to get your truck to leave 10 ft. black marks shifting into 2nd? what 2nd gear servo is in it? The billet shafts are very nice, I wish they were cheaper so I could get one
Old 10-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

So how many miles did your tranny have on it. Mine had less than 8k and only 5 track passes. I know crap happens and parts can break, it just sucks when your the guy that it breaks on and you gotta pay an assload to get it fixed under warranty. When other guys make ALOT more power and have years on thier trannies with tons of track passes and they dont break.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:11 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey, I have a pic just like that one!! Hopfully it didn't do alot of damage inside when it broke. Mine took out the planets and a drum, and some other stuff......

Quick Reply: 4l60e went BOOM