Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4L65 or 4L80?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 07:27 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Grey Silver
I'm still running a built 4L60 w/ no problems. Last I heard Blacksheep was running a 4L60. Bad builds and improper trans tunning have given the 4L60 a bad rap. Rock On builds some bad *** transmissions.

If you're planning to run 9's in the near future they can help you with that too.
Bad rap...maybe...just more complaints of loss than lasting. I say it's borrowed time. You are a regualr cab...you 4wd? He is extended cab and 4wd. The load/weight is a major killer of the 60. Why you think less ratio of F-body guys have less problems than us trucks...I would guess it's certainly the weight. It seems not so fair they advertise "can handle 600HP" on a 60e...600HP on a 3500lb car maybe.
Some builds do make the 60 and the owner proud...I just agree with 1slow...it's all about insurance.

Last edited by moregrip; 01-22-2006 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbond2509
I can get a stock 4L80 with 10 miles on it for about 1200.00.
The converter 2800 stall will be about 900.00 and 500.00 in crossmembers and driveshaft changes. so all together it is about 3000.00.

The FLP level 5 is about 2900.00 plus converter.

It sounds like putting up with the power pig is better and worth the 30hp additional parasitic drag. hopefully the converter cusions the pain of having more drag!! What do you think?

I am happy. Bigger is usually more money...it's a hard decision, like Grey mentions, people do have 60's in their trucks and still doing okay...I just feel more comfortable knowing that I am not going to be replacing/repairing my trans because it couldn't handle the power...it'll be for not changing the fluid or something if it fails.

I say up your budget a little bit and put a shift kit in that bad boy as well.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I put a 4L80 in my truck I would lose at least .5 in the 1/4. It's heavier and takes more power to turn as previously stated. I've got around 40 passes and 17,000 miles on my trans but It weighs 4480 w/ me in it and I'm only pushing 2 wheels. Calculator say I'm making 570 rwhp.
I think they've learned alot about these transmissions since I had mine built. I saw a vette that went 9's w/ a 4L60 in it. I think there's some f bodys doing it too and they're driving 'em on the street.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Grey Silver
If I put a 4L80 in my truck I would lose at least .5 in the 1/4. It's heavier and takes more power to turn as previously stated. I've got around 40 passes and 17,000 miles on my trans but It weighs 4480 w/ me in it and I'm only pushing 2 wheels. Calculator say I'm making 570 rwhp.
I think they've learned alot about these transmissions since I had mine built. I saw a vette that went 9's w/ a 4L60 in it. I think there's some f bodys doing it too and they're driving 'em on the street.
Again a vette weights 3200, an f-body 3500. You are a thousand pounds heavier than the f-body. I know I am at least another 1000 over you.
That's like putting 2 of these in your truck...

Come on...you smiled!

You really think .5? What's that a 12.37? That would put you at 468hp at the wheels. I'd be interested in people who have done the swap and have times before and after the swap. The 80 only weighs 100lbs more. I mean I know it's a pig in some loss...but .5 is alot of time. That would equate to like a 10 to 12% loss in HP. Hmmm. Anybody have any research on this? What's the typical parasitic loss for our stock setup drive train and then add an 80e to the mix? I am not dissing...it's just I am okay insuring against the bad rap 60e, but I don't think I am giving up that much HP...granted some...maybe like 30hp to 45hp...not 70ishhp.

Last edited by dewmanshu; 12-06-2005 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:17 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Kurt at W2W actually ran faster after swapping a 4L80E into his turbocharged Silverado SS. I know he had a stall in the old 60E and the 80E and that no other changes were made between the runs except for the transmission. I do not know if the stalls were the same though. It'll take some searching to see how much faster because I don't remember off the top of my head.

Here's my take on it. If you're making say 450rwhp in a truck you use as a daily driver I bet you can get by with a BUILT 4L65E for a good while IF you don't abuse it. Alot of it depends on the trans tune/temp and how you drive. If you beat on it everyday it will not last long IMHO. I think everyday driving is a ton tougher on a trans than some trips down the track, at least my daily driving is. If you drive it decently during the day I bet it last a long time though.

Over 450rwhp I don't think I'd consider a 60/65E at all. You might get 20/25K miles outta it before it takes a dump. This is with me driving it though, your mileage may vary...wish I had 450rwhp though.

I picked 450rwhp as a cutoff point even though the 60E can hold more because I think that is a point where once you exceed it the reliability of even the best built 60's will start to decline rapidly.

The 80E is nice but, I'd recommend making some power before jumping to one. It feels kinda doggy behind a na 5.3L.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
Kurt at W2W actually ran faster after swapping a 4L80E into his turbocharged Silverado SS. I know he had a stall in the old 60E and the 80E and that no other changes were made between the runs except for the transmission. I do not know if the stalls were the same though. It'll take some searching to see how much faster because I don't remember off the top of my head.

Here's my take on it. If you're making say 450rwhp in a truck you use as a daily driver I bet you can get by with a BUILT 4L65E for a good while IF you don't abuse it. Alot of it depends on the trans tune/temp and how you drive. If you beat on it everyday it will not last long IMHO. I think everyday driving is a ton tougher on a trans than some trips down the track, at least my daily driving is. If you drive it decently during the day I bet it last a long time though.

Over 450rwhp I don't think I'd consider a 60/65E at all. You might get 20/25K miles outta it before it takes a dump. This is with me driving it though, your mileage may vary...wish I had 450rwhp though.

I picked 450rwhp as a cutoff point even though the 60E can hold more because I think that is a point where once you exceed it the reliability of even the best built 60's will start to decline rapidly.

The 80E is nice but, I'd recommend making some power before jumping to one. It feels kinda doggy behind a na 5.3L.

This is good feedback! Now, Im seriously considering the 4l80E power pig. Do you think a convertor, shift kit and oil cooler can go far with the 80E or do I need to make more changes. Please advise.

Old 12-06-2005, 06:52 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a first gear conversion to turn the 1st gear ratio into a 3.06 ratio with a stall and shift kit you will have a VERY reliable setup and not have to worry baout breaking it. FYI I have a FULLY built 65e in my truck now I will be getting rid of in about 3 months if you want it. Im not oging to trust it to 750hp and 900ft-lb of torque which is what I am expecting out of my new setup on a 250 shot.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:28 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamesbond2509
This is good feedback! Now, Im seriously considering the 4l80E power pig. Do you think a convertor, shift kit and oil cooler can go far with the 80E or do I need to make more changes. Please advise.

PM parish8 this thread. He had a stock 4L80E with a converter and shift kit. I can't remember what it took to blow it up though.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
PM parish8 this thread. He had a stock 4L80E with a converter and shift kit. I can't remember what it took to blow it up though.
1000hp/1000tq? I don't remember him telling a story of it failing before then.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:26 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
Again a vette weights 3200, an f-body 3500. You are a thousand pounds heavier than the f-body. I know I am at least another 1000 over you.
That's like putting 2 of these in your truck...

Come on...you smiled!

You really think .5? What's that a 12.37? That would put you at 468hp at the wheels. I'd be interested in people who have done the swap and have times before and after the swap. The 80 only weighs 100lbs more. I mean I know it's a pig in some loss...but .5 is alot of time. That would equate to like a 10 to 12% loss in HP. Hmmm. Anybody have any research on this? What's the typical parasitic loss for our stock setup drive train and then add an 80e to the mix? I am not dissing...it's just I am okay insuring against the bad rap 60e, but I don't think I am giving up that much HP...granted some...maybe like 30hp to 45hp...not 70ishhp.
Damn that's some funny **** and she ain't gettin' in MY truck! LMAO

The .5 is a guesstimate. I've stayed away from the 80 because I'm **** about weight and rotating mass. I've shaved the ring gear to drop a little over 1 Lb. off of it.

Here's my guess
100 lbs is .1 or more because the weight is toward the front of the truck.
25 hp is .1 in the 1/8th and .1 in the 1/8th usually gives me .2 in the 1/4. I,ve gathered this info from my time slips when I go from 100 shot to a 125 shot.
The 1st gear ratio in the 80 would hurt my 60' and that's where a lot of my et comes from. I could change the 1st gear ratio but now I'm building a transmission that will add weight and reduce power to the wheels.
This is all just speculation but if somebody went quicker just by swapping from a 60 to an 80 then the 60 must have been pretty damn tired.

Quick Reply: 4L65 or 4L80?