Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l65e/4l70e input drum/shaft

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 11:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l65e/4l70e input drum/shaft

I read in some threads that there was some speculation on some differences in the 70e drum/shaft.

Which are the strongest? I recall zippy mentioning the 06+ may be lighter? If so did that affect how strong they are?
Old 06-19-2010, 10:55 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a different hardening on these shafts that you are talking about. I believe they are shot peened. I do not believe they are any lighter and I have seen these shafts break to. Billet is the best option IMO. Vince
Old 06-20-2010, 12:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
There is a different hardening on these shafts that you are talking about. I believe they are shot peened. I do not believe they are any lighter and I have seen these shafts break to. Billet is the best option IMO. Vince
I don't feel my power levels are high enough to warrant about a billet shaft. I have broken a input drum, rear ring gear, planetarys (simply broke, no signs of overheat), but never broke a input shaft. Just curious as which one is better, since i will be buying a new oem shaft and drum from GM for the build.

Just doing some research for my next build, and I came across a thread where there was talk about differences in the drums, but there was never a definitive update.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:36 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

In your case the early 65 drum would be fine. If you are breaking hard parts they way you are, you need to consider a few things.

First of all how is the trans set up? How aggressive is the trans shifting? Are you abusing the hell out of it?

When I see broken hard parts these are all things that need to be evaluated. Good luck with your next build. Vince
Old 06-20-2010, 11:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
In your case the early 65 drum would be fine. If you are breaking hard parts they way you are, you need to consider a few things.

First of all how is the trans set up? How aggressive is the trans shifting? Are you abusing the hell out of it?

When I see broken hard parts these are all things that need to be evaluated. Good luck with your next build. Vince
Past transmissions shifted pretty aggressive. The one that broke the input drum, I didn't think was that aggressive.

I do beat the hell out of it. My new build I've been researching for months now. Going a completely different route regarding shift kit and tuning then others do.

The drum and shaft is something I haven't purchased yet.

Thanks for your input Vince, its always helpful.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

stevenc, even if ya didn't think shifting was that aggressive, what if 1 day you start going up in power? If a little HP/TQ broke it at what u called not aggressive, it'll be a greater risk when those #'s go up.
Billet shafts are somethin I did on this truck & I'll look at em on other projects too. I already snapped 1 on my older truck, destroyed my whole trans.

Vince, if a person can't afford billet, what about shot peened & / or cryo'd shafts?
Or do those processes approach cost of billet to just make it more worthwhile to go straight to billet?
Old 06-20-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

My days of making my ecsb go fast are over, reliability is where im at now. My daughter was born on easter, and im not allowed to make my dd fast anymore. There's lots of trucks doing 12 seconds on 60/65e with stock shafts, I think i will be ok, im a couple seconds slower.

my 70 gmc collecting dust will be my go fast car one day. when i can afford dual snails and lots of boost.