Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4L65E no over drive.

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM
mtr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L65E no over drive.

Hello everyone. I joined to see if I can get some help. So I recently bought an 04 Escalade with the 4L65e with transmissions issues. When I first bought it, it wouldn't go anywhere, slipping torque converter. When it would move it wouldn't get out of first until high RPM then go to second.

So I tried a new VSS and throttle body. Same. So I got a working (supposedly) transmission out of a wrecked Denali. Installed it myself. And same thing. Wouldn't shift out of first until high RPM. I did install a Corvette servo. So it would go from first to third. Never tried overdrive.

Skip forward I get an extended Length servo pin from sonnax. I didn't install the seals that came with it and I'm guessing that could be a issue. But now it shifts fine from 1-2, 2-3. But no overdrive. Also it won't shift until it hits the rev limiter. So today I took out the Corvette servo. But left the extended pin. And same thing.

I feel like it's an issue with the servo as it didn't have second before but does now. But it also still feels loose even after it being extended. I also felt the band with a screw driver and it seems fine. My next thing would be seals and see if I can get it extended more by using a something else.

If it's just going to be the transmission I'll get the original one rebuilt but I'm hoping that's not the issue.
Old Yesterday, 03:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Unplug MAF sensor, test drive and report back here.
Old Yesterday, 03:55 PM
mtr

Originally Posted by Fullpower
Unplug MAF sensor, test drive and report back here.
Same issue. The pcm also commands 4th. And I do remember it going into 4th one time but that was it.

Also the torque converter does lock and unlock.
Old Today, 07:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 207 Likes on 166 Posts

Sure sounds like a slipping transmission to me. If you unplug the big round gray case connector, that throws it into limp mode and you should have reverse and second gear. If you don't have that, it's going to be time for a rebuild.

It's probably an internal blown seal on one of the drums or something along those lines.
Old Today, 09:41 AM
mtr

Originally Posted by strutaeng
Sure sounds like a slipping transmission to me. If you unplug the big round gray case connector, that throws it into limp mode and you should have reverse and second gear. If you don't have that, it's going to be time for a rebuild.

It's probably an internal blown seal on one of the drums or something along those lines.
I did that the other day. It also had first gear even unplugged and it would shift. I heard it shouldn't do that at all. I'm just going to pull the tranny again and return it.