Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l70e upgrade problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l70e upgrade problems

I know that on the hd2 kit you cannot get the boost valve out without pulling the trans on the newer transmissions so can I just skip this part until I need to pull the trans?

I'm installing a sonnax forward accumulator piston and I need help getting the steel ***** into the shaft bore. I put one in slightly and it barely went in. I tried to pull it out and couldn't so I tried to knock it in. I can't get it to do either. It's stuck halfway in. Can I just get that one in tightly or do I need both? Are they both the same size?
Old 11-27-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bump.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:15 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a link to the install directions. http://sonnax.com/instructions/77987-01K-IN.pdf

You need to install both. As for the boost valve you can skip that and just install the rest of the kit. I have seen it done in the past. Vince
Old 11-28-2009, 05:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It said push in on the directions and it took more than pushing so I was concerned. I ended up knocking them in with a punch and it seemed to work out ok. I skipped the boost valve part. Is this a major component to the kit? I plan on doing it when I get a stall or when it gives up the ghost. When cruising it shifts lighter than it used to but the up and down shifts under throttle feel firmer. Is this normal? The 80e I bought from you guys for my other truck shifts firm all the time, but then again you guys did much more to it and it's an 80e.

Last thing, my truck is an 07 but the trans said 06 somewhere (can't remember exactly) and there was no EP hole in the stock plate or the spacer plate I got from transgo. Is that normal or ok?
Old 11-29-2009, 08:51 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Blown02Sierra
It said push in on the directions and it took more than pushing so I was concerned. I ended up knocking them in with a punch and it seemed to work out ok. I skipped the boost valve part. Is this a major component to the kit? I plan on doing it when I get a stall or when it gives up the ghost. When cruising it shifts lighter than it used to but the up and down shifts under throttle feel firmer. Is this normal? The 80e I bought from you guys for my other truck shifts firm all the time, but then again you guys did much more to it and it's an 80e.

Last thing, my truck is an 07 but the trans said 06 somewhere (can't remember exactly) and there was no EP hole in the stock plate or the spacer plate I got from transgo. Is that normal or ok?
Yes you will have to use a punch to install those *****. Sounds like you did it right. The boost valve and PR springs are there to help raise the pressure in the trans. You can adjust these a bit in your tune to your liking. Just save the other parts and send them with your trans if you ever need to have it rebuilt. Please excuse me what are you talking about when you say EP hole? Brain is moving slow because it is all jacked up on Triptifin! Post a picture if you would to help me out here. Vince
Old 11-29-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I'm keeping everything for when it dies at which point I'll give you guys another call. Haha I understand, turkey does seem to slow things down. The hole I mentioned was the ep hole on the bottom of the plate on this page: http://www.transgo.com/46-PLT-07.pdf
Old 12-01-2009, 06:30 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Blown02Sierra
Yeah I'm keeping everything for when it dies at which point I'll give you guys another call. Haha I understand, turkey does seem to slow things down. The hole I mentioned was the ep hole on the bottom of the plate on this page: http://www.transgo.com/46-PLT-07.pdf
Thanks for the link. The plates we are currently using have that EP hole and seem to work just fine on all years from 96 and later. Personally I do not see it being an issue either way because I have used all combinations. I'm looking into what exactly the function of that added hole is. Thanks for pointing it out. I would say run what you got and you will be fine. Vince
Old 12-01-2009, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply man. Definitely calmed my nerves. I've been driving it for 4 days now with no problems