Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4L80 getting weak

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 10:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about Circle D???? They make a nice converter and I know their sister shop does transmissions....... Not sure where in Texas you are vs them, but an option. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about Circle D???? They make a nice converter and I know their sister shop does transmissions....... Not sure where in Texas you are vs them, but an option. Good luck.

http://www.circledtrans.com/
Old 02-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=old motorhead;4642032I do think 3rd is slipping a bit.[/QUOTE]

If its slipping in 3rd and reverse, the directs are going away. The only shift kit that I know of that fixes 3rd (in an otherwise stock transmission) is the Transgo HD-2 kit....otherwise directs start to go away around 500hp. Of course a proper (aftermarket) build fixes this.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slow67
If its slipping in 3rd and reverse, the directs are going away. The only shift kit that I know of that fixes 3rd (in an otherwise stock transmission) is the Transgo HD-2 kit....otherwise directs start to go away around 500hp. Of course a proper (aftermarket) build fixes this.
I have a quote from a local tranny builder. It does include the T'Go HD-2 shift kit and other upgrades. Builder says I may need a billet intermediate shaft. It's a $380 option. I'll probably leave that one on the shelf.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:56 PM

So you are waiting for a shop to get back to you... and that is how you gauge whether or not you will do business with them? Maybe they are busy? No follow up call?
Old 02-16-2011, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by bud8fan
the 4th 80e is coming out now...time for a built one...i got a stage 2 with t brake from jakes performance with warranty...
That's a good option. From conversations I've had with Jake he builds some nice stuff. Very knowledgeable guy and his prices seem reasonable for what you get. Good luck with the new trans Alton.

Originally Posted by old motorhead
I have a quote from a local tranny builder. It does include the T'Go HD-2 shift kit and other upgrades. Builder says I may need a billet intermediate shaft. It's a $380 option. I'll probably leave that one on the shelf.
Oldmotorhead if your trans already has the hd-2 kit in it you should not need another one. That might save you some money there if they use the trans that you currently have. Personally the 80 is not that hard to build and I have helped quite a few guys do their own as well as offer up advise on what shops should do. Bill Ried is one of the memebers here I helped with parts and tech on his personal build. If your search some of my posts under my current user name or under Vince @ FLT, here on PTN or on ls1tech that info is out there.

With the power you are making a billet main shaft is really not needed. I have seen very few break in the 97 and later units. The input shaft is the only one I have seen break. That was only when a guy was locking the converter under full throttle or when shifting the trans with the tcc locked. In most cases in these units unless you are making very good power the billet shafts are not needed.

I have built plenty of these units using transtech or Toledo overhaul kits. Normally I just use Borg Warner frictions and bands. I have found these to work just fine and really take some abuse. There are many things that go into a build to make a trans hold up and stay together.

Things like end play and clutch clearance are the main ones. Also I like to use a self regulating boost valve from Sonnax, Sonnax lock up valve for the valve body, wide TF8 direct clutch snap ring for the intermediate clutch in the 80, and modify the direct clutch circuit to dual feed the direct drum.

This can be done by leaving the second sealing ring from the top of the center support off, remove the center seal from the inside of the direct drum, and block the feed in the case with a parking pawl plug from a TH350. From there opening up the feed holes in the separator plate for 2nd, 3rd and 4th seem to help with shift feel.

All of these mods can be done with the transgo kit. However I would use an oem plate and ditch the one that comes in the kit from them. After a few conversations with Jake and also seeing some failures on units I had built, this is something I have done on my last dozen or so builds. HTH Vince

Last edited by Vince B; 02-16-2011 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Added info for oldmotorhead
Old 02-16-2011, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Thanks Vince

Hell yeah that helps. Appreciate it!
Old 02-17-2011, 01:38 AM

Yep, Vince was instrumental in helping me rebuild a 4L80E I have all the Kent Moore specialty tools for the 4L80E... so I had alot invested in the "garage" build. Tranny's are not black boxes ... but attention to detail is critical... and thanks to Vince for opening my eyes...