Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l80 problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 12:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4l80 problem

OK, Halloween night i went to pass some guy in a z71 and got up to about 115 (3rd gear) and i guess he thought i was wanting to race or something.. but i was actually just late for a shindig at a guys house. So he starts to follow kinda close through the curves and hills on this 2lane road at about 80mph. A stretch opens up and i say to myself, i'm about to lose this guy. Hit the stretch and hit it at about 80, kicks to second (like normal) goes up to about 98-100 (normal also) when it shifted to 3rd, it revved up, then shifted back to second, pulled back up to speed, shifted to 3rd, revved up, then back into second, did this prob. one more time and i let out. it scared me (and pissed me off cause the guy was still on my case). Got into town and it shifted normal, 1st thru 4th then overdrive. Ever since the 2-3 shift has seemed to be sort of .. off. Usually 1-2 and the 2-3 are pretty fast hard shifts even at low throttle (tune and transgo). 1-2 is still normal but the 2-3 has gotten to where it just slides into gear is the best way i can describe it, like an auto belt trans on a 4-wheeler, it just slides into gear like something is slipping or loosing pressure somewhere. Just last night it started really acting up. It would hold 2nd for longer than usual then go into 3rd like before, like it slips into gear. then wouldn't go into 4th/OD unless i went to 3rd and back to 4th then it would go into OD. I decided on a WOT run, second went to about 105 then bounced off rev limiter. Something is def. wrong. I am thinking maybe something has gone wrong with the transgo, bt i don't know. ANY help is appreciated guys. i'm workin on video and will edit in a minute.

edit: video of the 2nd gear 80-100 pull, you can hear it hit rev limiter. poor quality vid, took with my digi camera.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=1382531010

another vid. this was in 3rd (wouldn't go into 4th). i was playing with the throttle trying to get it to shift.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=1381884110

Cruising about 65mph. Keep throttle the same. Shift from 4 to 3. rpm would raise then lower by about 100 rpm. then shift back to 4 it would raise back up in the rpm. wierd...

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=1382567318

Thanks,
Justin

Last edited by EXTREME; 11-15-2006 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Regular

update:

no 4th and no OD at all. drove about 20 miles home a few minutes ago and it absolutly would not go into 4th/OD.

I'm thinking something in the transgo has gone wrong.. idk.. still needin some input!
Old 11-04-2006, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

Cool

There is a shift solenoid for 4th attached to the valve body that may be the problem. The first time I changed fluid I broke mine trying to force the pan out past the exhaust. It is the one on the passenger side on the front of the valve body. Maybe you damaged yours some doing the shift kit? Mine felt really loose when I tried to wiggle it and I guess it lost its seal to the valve body and would not shift into 4th at all. Means you have to drop the pan to check it.

This may not be it because I had to hold it in a lower gear I think. If I remember correctly all it would do was free wheel and rev up when it tried to shift into 4th.

Maybe someone else will have some ideas for you.

Also 4th = OD. They are the same thing. If you feel a gear shift after 4th it is the torque converter locking up.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mort
There is a shift solenoid for 4th attached to the valve body that may be the problem. The first time I changed fluid I broke mine trying to force the pan out past the exhaust. It is the one on the passenger side on the front of the valve body. Maybe you damaged yours some doing the shift kit? Mine felt really loose when I tried to wiggle it and I guess it lost its seal to the valve body and would not shift into 4th at all. Means you have to drop the pan to check it.

This may not be it because I had to hold it in a lower gear I think. If I remember correctly all it would do was free wheel and rev up when it tried to shift into 4th.

Maybe someone else will have some ideas for you.

Thanks for the advice mort. I thought about those selonoids, but figured they would have not worked immediately after installation of the shift kit. I'm dropping the pan monday or tues to do a visual inspection.

Originally Posted by Mort
Also 4th = OD. They are the same thing. If you feel a gear shift after 4th it is the torque converter locking up.
that's what i refer to as OD, the conv lockup.

Thanks again
Justin
Old 11-05-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like it may have blown out a portion of a separator plate gasket. When reinstalling the valvebody, torque all the bolts to 97in/lbs.
There are really a lot of things that could be causing this problem, I'm just taking a stab.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Regular

i'm thinking its in the VB. either a blown gasket (like you said) or the hole that is filled in with the supplied filler thing that has to be punched to expand into the hole. I think that might have come out and leaking fluid there. but idk. first of next week i'll pull the pan, check that hole, replace the gaskets and reinstall and see what happens

Thanks for the input james and mort
Old 11-06-2006, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

Default I think the nova did it!

It wants you to drive it and screw that damn truck!
Old 11-06-2006, 09:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dang jones that sucks.. hope you get it all worked out..
im having Torque converter lock up issues right now..
it pulls extremely good right now, but cruising it sucks!
im makin a few calls today.