Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4L80 is singing and slipping...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 09:05 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by built408
No, Just find a REAL builder who knows what they are doing. Most trans shops screw people and don't put in what they say they are.
So youre saying that FLT is not putting the parts in that they are selling us I thought we were all getting ripped off.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:09 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKID
A couple of diagonistic questions:

-If the converter clutch came apart, would there be evidence of it in the trans pan?

-I had problems with the o-ring on the input shaft when first installing this converter. If that o-ring were torn or damaged in some way, would it cause these problems or would that just cause the converter to not lock up?

-I had an old style HD2 kit which required me to mash the plug in the seperator plate. If that plug came out, would it cause these symptoms?
There would be but it would be hard to tell if it was clutch material from the converter or the another clutch pack.

If the input shaft o ring was cut the trans would work fine under all conditions EXCEPT lock up.

The plug that you put in the separator plate is part of the reverse circuit.
The hd shift kit allows oil to apply on both sides of the direct clutch (3rd, and reverse). Normally one circuit is for 3rd the other for reverse, but when you install the shift kit, both will be used to apply the clutch in 3rd, which equals more surface area, and more holding power..

How does it fill in reverse?

I think I place my bet on the forward clutch
Old 11-15-2008, 09:30 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Breeze
So youre saying that FLT is not putting the parts in that they are selling us I thought we were all getting ripped off.
Not here at this shop that's for sure! Our customers actually get more parts than we list on our build list. I'm just not willing to give up our entire R & D program to our competitors or the do-it-yourselfers. That's part of what you pay for when you buy any FLT unit! Just to clear that up!

Chuck
Old 11-15-2008, 01:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
There would be but it would be hard to tell if it was clutch material from the converter or the another clutch pack.

If the input shaft o ring was cut the trans would work fine under all conditions EXCEPT lock up.

The hd shift kit allows oil to apply on both sides of the direct clutch (3rd, and reverse). Normally one circuit is for 3rd the other for reverse, but when you install the shift kit, both will be used to apply the clutch in 3rd, which equals more surface area, and more holding power..

Thank you! Those are the answers I suspected. The trans felt fine in reverse the only time I tried it once it started acting up.

It looks as if I need to just drop and rebuild the trans. I just wish I knew how to determine if it was a converter failure or trans failure.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:35 PM

If reverse is fine it is the forward clutch. converter should be shipped out and cleaned ANY TIME the trans needs a rebuild.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:37 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by built408
No, Just find a REAL builder who knows what they are doing. Most trans shops screw people and don't put in what they say they are.
Originally Posted by FLT
Not here at this shop that's for sure! Our customers actually get more parts than we list on our build list. I'm just not willing to give up our entire R & D program to our competitors or the do-it-yourselfers. That's part of what you pay for when you buy any FLT unit! Just to clear that up!

Chuck
I'm not the one dragging trans builders names around.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:08 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Breeze
I'm not the one dragging trans builders names around.
Not saying that you were, just wanted to clarify to everyone on this forum who might think that happens here. Didn't mean for you to take it personally if that was the case.

Take care,
Chuck
Old 11-15-2008, 06:48 PM
11 Second Truck Club

You guys at FLT have a hell of a good rep I dont think you have anything to worry about. I love the 80 you built for me.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Where's the Beef?

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing

So how does that help determine if it was Trans or TC failure?
My reverse sounds like trying to shift without a clutch into a gear that isn't there. And there is not park. and once the fluid warms up, theres no forward.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by viciousknid
So how does that help determine if it was Trans or TC failure?
My reverse sounds like trying to shift without a clutch into a gear that isn't there. And there is not park. and once the fluid warms up, theres no forward.
4l80 or 60 ?

Quick Reply: 4L80 is singing and slipping...