Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4L80 Torque Converter Help - long post, sorry!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L80 Torque Converter Help - long post, sorry!

Hi All,

I am looking for a little bit of help with my truck. '05 Sierra 1500HD. Tq converter has been acting up for a while (rolling backward in gear on SLIGHT hill, not rolling forward at a light without the brakes on etc etc.)

We lately it got a little worse, now when towing as soon as the converter unlocks, the temps climb right away. Temps get hotter then they ever have etc. and the low end power seems to be down.

Lastly, on a 2200 mile aniversary trip a couple of weeks ago, i started to pick up on a (wobble, shimmy, vibration) in the moment when the truck, on cruise control, would transition on a slight down hill from locked forward power to coasting, before the engine would then hold back from accelerating. It was noticable enough to shimmy my 6000lb truck and make change in the center console make noise as soon as the truck would engine brake or get back on the throttle it would stop 100%

So, looking for a new converter. I do use my truck as a truck. i have a company truck i use daily so mine is now a weekend/toy hauler. It pulls a boat, travel traler, sand rail, & groceries . The heaviest is the 31' travel trailer, scaled it on the way home from the colorado river after a weekend at 8800 lbs, combined weight of 14,880 lbs with the truck. This is where the help is needed. i have 4 options...

1) Get a used GM take-out from this site. Saw one once for like $75.

2) RevMax (they also build the 4L80 for diesels, so they should be able to get me a converter that will hold up for towing) $399 with a high carbon clutch. Basically a rebuilt factory with a $100 core charge. Factory Stall

3)Circle D - Rebuilt Factory with a billet piston, $450.00 with a $100 core. also with a high carbon clutch. Factory Stall, Great guy to talk to! Thinks my sprag went out.

4) #L80-LU from PATC, has a carbon fiber clutch and rated for 600HP rated at 1800-2000 stall. $465 no core charge as he says their converters are not rebuilds. says that the stators/ fin designs are more efficient then stock so should produce more power to the wheels?

What do you think??

WHile the tranny is out of the truck i was also thinking of installing the aftermarket planitary from PATC that changes it to a 2.75 1st and 1.57 second for the 4L80. would be nice to pick up more lowend!

Please give me you honest opinions as i only plan on doing this once! haha.

All three companies i spoke to recommended that i stick with the 13" factory size converter so please dont tell me to get a 3200 9"

Thanks for reading through all of that!
Old 06-21-2013, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

Quick picture of the truck, headed to Havasu in April.

Just so you can kinda see what im working with

Old 06-21-2013, 11:38 PM
MASS seller approved

I think we might have partially the same problem man. I recently did an 80e swap in my truck...crewcab 1500 2wd...and the 80 I got had been sitting up for a while as was the converter. Well I drained the fluid in both the trans and converter and installed it in the truck. Well for like the first three days it did fine and a couple days ago after romping on the truck a couple times it was still fine. Well the next day I get in and at idle between 500 and 1000rpm it shimmied and shaked like it was missing kinda. Well no matter what gear, incline, time of day or tow weight it vibrates or shakes only between 500 and 1000rpm. Even when I take off from a light or right when it idles down as I come to a stop it does it. I swapped plugs checked coils and wires and evething is good in that dept. My last idea was the torque converter and your post almost has me dead set on it now lol.

But anyways, IMO I would go with circle D...I had nothing but great experience s with them!
Old 06-21-2013, 11:49 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Yank triple disc....
Old 06-24-2013, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

Bump, anyone?

Any opinions are appreciated!!
Old 06-24-2013, 05:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Circle-d triple disk shifts pretty hard into lockup. Almost too hard at times. Works good for racing though. I'd throw a used stock one in for cheap if I was towing and not trying to go fast.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

Since we are on the topic...

I'm running a Hughes billet single disk... Part number 25LXFM-HD..

Its a low stall (1200rpm) for a diesel application.. I'm running it behind my 4bt..

Has anyone had any experience with them? Any of our sponsors ever cut one of these open to see whats what inside? I was going to go with a multi disc setup... tried and tried to find a low stall multi-disc that was diesel specific and couldn't find squat.

Anyways... so far I like it... but I'm getting ready to double the power output going to it... hughes and summit racing both said it'll hold it no problem... but figured I'd ask...

Sorry if its off topic...

-Chris
Old 06-24-2013, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by swift700
My Circle-d triple disk shifts pretty hard into lockup. Almost too hard at times. Works good for racing though. I'd throw a used stock one in for cheap if I was towing and not trying to go fast.
Ya, the lockup on the stock one is solid, no problems there. Only seems to suck when its unlocked
Old 07-02-2013, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

Ok, let me ask this a little different.

Does anyone have any experience with PATC?

Are their converters as efficient as they claim?

Anyone ever bought a planitary set from them?

Thanks!!
Old 07-04-2013, 01:57 PM
hog
TECH Fanatic

Just don't use a diesel TC, stall too low. I'd be looking for a 80e TC that was used behind the 4.3 in the vans.

peace
Hog

Quick Reply: 4L80 Torque Converter Help - long post, sorry!