Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l80e 2nd gear limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by brandon6.0
no this is the first and only 4l80e that i have had in this truck. Its a stock unit that had alot of miles when i got it and i added a hd2 shift kit and fti converter. Ran great for a week and thin started acting up when it was cold. Found that to be converter drain back. But once warm it does fine going in gear and everything. This is the only major issues i have had with it. I cant seem to figure it out. Gonna just order a retune and see if something might be wrong in the tune. Cant seem to come up with any other ideas on this thing. Has me stumped.
I must have confused your thread with another one. For some reason I thought you had rebuilt or replaced the unit at some point with the same issues. Given that it has alot of miles and it has not been gone through there may be an issue withen the valve body or possibly inside the trans.

First I would have your buddy hook up to it and see if you have any codes. If you do, focus on those issues first. Then I would find some one to have a look at the transmission if your still having issues with it. Once everything is sound, then I would have the tuner take a look and see if he can fix any idle or stumbling issues.

I only recommend having some one look at the trans because let say something is wrong in the Valve body and it's 300-400 to fix correctly. That's alot cheaper then spending 10x that only to find out you still have issues that maybe possibly be tune related. You never know, the guy may recommend having it gone through.

The tuner won't be able to correct anything properly if the truck is not mechanically and electrically sound. Same with the a trans builder. If they throw a fresh trans in it and it's still acting up then the tuner will have to look at it or you may have electrical issues that need correcting. So verify it mechanically and electrically.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I read about checking the pins to make sure they are seated correctly. Gonna check that tommorrow. Now, i did have trans fluid leaking into my main plug, thus the reason i kinda swapped internal harness. It had fluid all in my plug which could have possibly blown a fuse. I have main voltage at "E". I checked all brake fuses seemed fine. Are there any others?

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

UPDATE:

went and had codes pulled once again... Now have 9 codes that all have to do with the ABS. Even showed one for vss that had to do with abs. So, this is got to be a problem. Now, how do i go about solving this? Is it the main brake lookin thing under neath the truck near gas tank? EBCM

All fuses to this checked out ok. Wires seem good even regrounded all grounds on truck.

Last edited by brandon6.0; 09-05-2012 at 09:18 PM.