Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l80e 2wd ID confirmation, and used sale value?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 4l80e 2wd ID confirmation, and used sale value?

Hi guys. My dad runs a small trucking company. He bought a box truck from down south that was partially flooded at some point, and swapped in a drivetrain from a wrecked truck he had here. The truck had a 6L engine and auto trans, and he wanted me to either sell or scrap the parts. IT was an 03 with 90k miles that ran fine before it was flooded.

I *think* this has a 4l80E on it based on the visual cues I have read about here on the forum. Can someone look at these pics and verify?

Also, given that it is now in unknown condition, I would want to sell it as a good core that is possibly useable as-is. Unless there are ways I can check it out and see if the internals are still okay? Would dropping the pan or removing the torque converter give me a good idea of it's condition, or does it have to be totally torn apart?

What would the as-is value of this trans/converter setup be? I would have posted this in the classifieds, but I am unsure if the mods here allow "feeler" or "how much is it worth" threads, so I thought it safer to ask here first.

Should any members or trans rebuild shops be interested in this core feel free to pm me. Once I get a few replies here I will post it for sale in the classifieds.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

100% yess it's a 4l80e
Old 10-23-2008, 10:10 PM
Registered abuser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the fluid has water in it, might as well sit it out on the curb for the garbage man to pick up. I wouldn't even pay to ship that thing without seeing the inside, the outside looks like it was in salt water. - JMO
Old 10-23-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

really? I thought it would at least be good as a core to build from, since everyone wants to swap to 80E's these days.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy **** that things corroded. If it was a 4wd unit Id think about picking it up to rebuild it but...
Old 10-24-2008, 12:57 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should be able to sell it as a core. I know that the trans builders (FLT and Performabuilt) are always looking for the newer style 4L80E cores. I dunno what condition the internals are in, but if they are usable it's probably worth $600-800 as a core.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Man I had a hard time finding a late model core around here and finally found a 98 box van also. It was in a U Pull It and Cost me about 150. Yes yours does look like it was in salt water and I would probably pass on it unless it was torn apart and looked at, if that corrosion is inside it's junk. It costs a lot of money to go through one and improve it so you want to start with a good core.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

guess Im gonna take it apart and have a looksee then. Worst case, I get to scrap the case for bare aluminum and the rest in my junk pile.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:20 PM

Sure looks like alot of corrosion on the outside... hopefully parts on the inside are OK... looks like an 03 4L80E based on the identification stickers. Only way to tell is get it apart and see how bad it is in there. It may look bad at first but if the hard parts clean up with no corrosion pitting on important surfaces then you're golden... otherwise its a good excercise in disassembling.

I forget... been awhile... are those Mud Dabber Hornets nests?

Bill
Old 10-24-2008, 07:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah, we call 'em dirt dobbers. glad they're long since vacant, though.

Here is my progress thus far. I know the pump was supposed to come off seperately but the next segment came out together with it and I am not sure how they are supposed to separate (I am working with no manual of any sort).

I am also not sure how the next set of clutches/assembly is supposed to come out, it shows no sign of budging with pulling by hand but I cant see anything holding it in. I was using the "trans rebuild thread" as a guide, but he still refers to reading the manual far more than giving actual instructions.

I dunno, but the parts thus far look shiny and corrosion free, and my guess is that with a full fluid flush this trans would have worked okay despite it's external appearance. But I am not at all knowledgable in auto trannies so I don't know.

Quick Reply: 4l80e 2wd ID confirmation, and used sale value?