Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l80e Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 01:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Reid
Ditto ... shop around for a low milage 01-up (built after 3/01) from the junkyard, get Transgo's new HD2 shift kit, and call it a day.
really? so stock with shift kit instead of building it eh? hmm sounds doable should i have them go thru the tranny at all and check for wear or weak points when i have em install the shift kit? or just install it and call it a day?

also what kinda power on avg can a 80e w/ HD2 handle in a RCSB?

:edit: what a good price range?

and last question. Mobil1 full syn? royal purple max atf? something else? any additives ?

thx
Old 04-05-2009, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rebuilt mine in my garage. It was from an 01 with 70k miles. Pulled it apart and it was in pretty damn good condition. Few hot spots on the steels but nothing really out of the ordinary. FYI, I rebuilt my tranny as a project... looking back the tranny probably did not need anything but I wound up replacing most evrything that normally getsw replaced during a rebuild plus a few extra things. I would be guessing but I would think you could get 700rwhp out of a stock 80e in good shape all day every day with a shift kit.
If you are dealing with a reputable wrecking yard and they say its a low mile tranny then go for it. If the tranny is still in the truck and it has power so you can see milage on the odometer then even better... but most salvage yards, that I know of, strip trucks quickly especially if the cab and/or frame are done... unless they are a "pick a part". I paid $700 for my 80E and it included dipstick and torque convertor. I run Valvoline DexronIII... no additives. 80E's are valued for their durability hence they command a pretty penny. I'd say price range you are looking $600-1200 depending on age and miles. $800 is about right for a good clean low milage late model (built after 03/01) tranny.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm in $600 on my 05 4l80e w/30k. Pulled the pan off and it's pristine inside. Pan was clean. Just check your local Craigslist on a daily basis.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:31 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Parke10
and last question. Mobil1 full syn? royal purple max atf? something else? any additives ?

thx
I'd stick with conventional DexronIII, pretty sure that's what FLT and Performabuilt recommend with their GM auto transmissions.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

dexronIII eh? weird i work at AutoZone.. ( yea i blows ) and our computer says to use dexron VI on all later model GM trannys. should i not use VI?
Old 04-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default There are some decent tranny deals out there!

Less than a month back bought a 4K mile 2WD 4l80e with flexplate, 'verter, coolant lines, driveshaft and complete engine/trans harness w/fusebox. Found it on the ls1 "for sale" board.

Owner didn't want to ship and needed to make a fast sale to pay for his "new" 4l60e. Too much of a hassle to make the 4l80e fit the tunnel in his Colorado.

Had to make a 380 mile round trip to get it-- but I think a pretty good deal for $650.00.

Naturally, I then found an '07 Silvarado 2WD 6l90e with less than 400 miles same setup; but rear yoke only (no driveshaft) and no harness. Got it for less than $1580.00 delivered!

Get a firm grip on your wallet and just start lookin'!
Old 04-06-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

found an 04 from a reliable junkyard, guy says its been sittin for 4 months mileage is unknown due to a screwed up cluster 750$ and said to come check it out, and bring cash to work on the price. 6 month warr on it too, but idk if that will matter once it has an HD2 in it
Old 04-06-2009, 08:39 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Parke10
dexronIII eh? weird i work at AutoZone.. ( yea i blows ) and our computer says to use dexron VI on all later model GM trannys. should i not use VI?
Isn't VI the latest Dexron? Is it synthetic? The basic rule of thumb is that you can always use newer stuff in older units that called for an older gen of atf, but not the other way around. For a built unit, I'd go with what the builder recommends though, as he installed the parts and knows what works best with them...just my opinion
Old 04-06-2009, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Isn't VI the latest Dexron? Is it synthetic? The basic rule of thumb is that you can always use newer stuff in older units that called for an older gen of atf, but not the other way around. For a built unit, I'd go with what the builder recommends though, as he installed the parts and knows what works best with them...just my opinion
ill prob just go wth mobil 1 full syn ATF then. thats what he said he likes.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:32 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

synthetic is too "slippery" LOL.... Vince and Chuck at Finishline both told me to use plain old run of the mill Dexron III in my level 5 65E when I had it... I'll be doing the same in my 80E... it may wear less, but it may slip more... think about that...

Quick Reply: 4l80e Build