Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4L80E Converter Seal Push-Out

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 06:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L80E Converter Seal Push-Out

Need a little help here guys. I just finished installing a 4L80E in a friend's pickup. It has a Yank Converter and Transgo HD2 shift kit. We noticed today that the Converter seal is starting to push out on it's own. It's a good 1/8th to 1/4" away from being flush now. This is after about 400 miles of daily driving with a couple spirited hits on the throttle. He's been breaking in the converter for the last few weeks as per Yank's instructions.

When I installed the TransGo kit, I did not drill the pump converter seal drain hole as per the TransGo instructions. The Intermediate clutch snap ring and converter seal drain hole drilling were optional as per the TransGo instructions, so at the time I deemed the drilling not necessary as it was listed as optional.

However, the Yank Converter came with a new Converter Clutch pressure regulator valve, which from what I could tell was to change the converter clutch apply pressure. He has the Triple Disc lockup converter.

The seal was a generic seal from O'Reilly's, and drove into the pump very nice, no reason for it to push out easily. I tried pushing it back in with a prybar and it's still plenty tight.

I'm assuming the pump converter seal drain hole needs to be opened up like the TransGo kit says? But, if I followed their instructions if the trans was in the vehicle, it says you don't have to do it? BUT, maybe this is assuming you are using the stock Converter regulator valve?

Need a little direction from somebody who may have run into this. Planning on pulling it out and drilling the Converter seal drain passage next weekend based on what I can see at this time.

The trans works great in all other aspects.

Here are the instructions provided with both the HD2 kit, and the Yank Converter:

Step 3 AND 4 I did NOT do:

And the instruction sheet provided with the Yank PT3400 Triple Disc:

Any Help appreciated. I also emailed Yank about the issue.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I picked up a seal from a local well known trans shop. When he sold it to me, he said to make sure I put threadlocker on the metal that mates with the seat. I never asked him why, but now it would make sense why he said that.