Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4L80E Forward Clutches Welded?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L80E Forward Clutches Welded?

Bought a trans with a HD2 Kit installed. Supposed to have less than 2000 miles since new from GM. This trans was behind a 76MM turbo'ed 6.0

I bought the project after the previous owner had enough.

With that being said. I have never driven behind this trans. I don't know anything about it internally. After gathering parts for my own project, it is finally coming together now. Upon first start up i could pull the truck in and out of the garage. I have a 3000 stall so I have always had to rev it a little but it would pull forward and reverse. I have driven this thing less than 1000 ft. I had just finished bleeding the brakes so i held the brakes and gave it some gas to make sure they were holding well. After I did this, no reverse. I could feel it go into gear but wouldn't move. When i put it in park it felt like the something was binding the engine. I wouldn't rev over 3000RPMs. As I have been working all kinds of bugs out of it, i figured it went into reduced power/limp mode. EFI Live shows codes but nothing that would cause the reduction in power. letting it idle, after checking the fluid level (maybe 1/2 qt low Dextron VI) I get back in the truck and the DIC states "Transmission Hot" I shut it down and am at this crossroad now.

After lots of searching, I have come up with what has to be welded forward clutches. ( The truck will move forward in neutral )

Now, the main question I have is what the hell caused this? I installed the torque converter, so I know the clearances on that was correct. I am in the process of removing the trans now. I would just hate to pull it apart, re clutch it, reinstall and have the same results.

Can anyone help shed light on my issues?

What are the main issues that cause welded forward clutches? I just want to go back together with everything i can check,checked

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:02 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Sounds more like a pressure leak in the valve body.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:01 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Sounds more like a pressure leak in the valve body.
That should not stop it from rev'ing over 3k in park though.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

Does it move forward in every gear??
Old 11-18-2012, 06:06 PM
Staging Lane

And with a fresh case of Dextron VI its starting to have a very faint "burnt" smell. Its out now. Im going to pull it apart tomorrow and find out if in fact they're welded. I swear this truck is put together with zippers.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chevrolet all the way
Does it move forward in every gear??

All but Reverse and Park. At one point even Reverse, then stalled. All my searching leads me to the clutches. My main thing is why? Is it something I could have done? Or did I get the tranny with previous problems?

Off topic Chevrolet all the way, Is Trussville still a one traffic light town with 2 cops always somewhere near it? Was up there in the early 90's. Almost settled there.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

If thats whats wrong it most certainly had problems before. does it bind like in reverse?

its blown up pretty good in the last few years. used to be just like you said but now we have a shopping mall and a bunch of new stuff coming in. really lost the small town feel
Old 11-18-2012, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

If thats whats wrong it most certainly had problems before. does it bind like in reverse?

Yes, it's binding, won't move at all. You can "feel" it go in gear.

its blown up pretty good in the last few years. used to be just like you said but now we have a shopping mall and a bunch of new stuff coming in. really lost the small town feel
I moved to a town West of West Palm (Loxahatchee) The city is getting closer but I still have a long dirt road that'll keep the city away for a while.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

sounds roasted to me. clutches are welded together. I had the same problem last year. Truck would pull forward in all gears including Park & Neutral. It will just free rev in R. Heck it even started working normal for another 2 months before I pulled it to put a fresh unit in there. Lets you know these 80es are no slouch, it still never gave up I would like to see a 60e accomplish that. My backup 80e I put in just rocks *** and its 100% stock.

sounds like you bought a fried unit. the 80e is not indestructible.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem. except mine would move forward only when the trans was dead cold. I had cooked every clutch in the trans from what appeared to be low fluid level. Later on after the rebuild went bad we found the forward drum had welded itself. So make sure you check everything out thoroughly.

Quick Reply: 4L80E Forward Clutches Welded?