Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4L80E Forward Clutches Welded?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 05:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SGP93GSX
...Supposed to have less than 2000 miles since new from GM...

I bought the project after the previous owner had enough.
Is there a sticker on the side of the unit that has been discolored from overheating?

What exactly had the previous owner had enough of. It sounds like he sold you a tranny that was shot.

Maybe Vince will chime in.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the whole project truck about a year ago. We put that truck back to stock and sold it. The engine had destroyed a piston on boost with an incomplete tune. (Impatient) The original owner was having someone else do his work and was not happy with how fast this project was going so he sold it and bought a Vette.

The trans looked new in all ways. When I first fired the truck it moved what seemed to be fine (has a new to me stall) Just installed and bled the brake kits so I held the brakes and basically brake boosted to maybe 3500RPMs. After that. "Welded" I pulled it and took it to a buddy of mine that does nothing but transmissions everyday. He told me it looked like it had been run low on fluid as a couple other clutch sets looked. "Hot" but were OK. He was going to change everything anyway while it was apart. He stated "unless there is a crack I can't see in the worm casting, threre is nothing else I can see that would cause it other than low on fluid"

Gagetized--- All the stickers looked factory new. Bright White.

I just don't want to have the same issue again as I plan on putting some horsepower through AWD and the transmission is going to be the weakest link between the engine and the pavement as I will be running 4 drag radials.

Thanks for the input, and in all the searching I have done Vince usually chimes in with good advice.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if there was a pressure leak lets hope its obvious and your buddy finds it. There are many things that go into a good rebuild that have to be addressed. From what I gather from your original post it seems that this was basically a new trans with low miles that had a SK installed. I would be concerned with the install of the kit first. I would make sure to go over step by step to make sure it was done correctly.

My first place to look would be to look at the boost valve sleeve and make sure that the washer that supports the pressure regulator spring is there. The gasket impressions on the separator plate would be another good place to look for a leak. Especially if you have the multi layered plate from TG. There have been issues with the drum and input shaft sealing rings so this is another place to look for wear. With the mileage if the fwd drum was new I would not think that it is messed up already. Also make sure that the pump is in good shape. Might not be a bad idea to get a pressure gauge when you install the trans next time around. Hope this helps some. Vince