Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l80e has no gears??

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking that the boost valve and sleeve might have come out of the pump because the snap ring was not fully installed. This is something I have seen in the past. I would drop the pan to see if this is the case or you might see something else that is obvious. Have you tried to contact the builder?
Old 11-12-2011, 08:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes i contacted him and he told me it was my converter. But would a P.I triple disk go bad after 30 miles? he is getting my truck monday or tuesday and i just want to make sure he doesnt send my converter in if it wont fix the problem.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I highly doubt the converter is the problem in this case and it kind of sounds like he's already trying to point the finger... JMO though. Youre losing holding fluid somewhere, wether its a cut seal on install, a crossleak, pumping problem etc... your not getting the pressure you need where you need it from the sound of things.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:53 PM

I would pull the pan like I said and do a visual inspection like I said before letting him touch it! Take a pic and post what you find.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 03regcab sierra
Yes i contacted him and he told me it was my converter. But would a P.I triple disk go bad after 30 miles? he is getting my truck monday or tuesday and i just want to make sure he doesnt send my converter in if it wont fix the problem.
I killed a new PI converter inside 20 miles. I wouldn't say it's the problem, but I wouldn't rule it out either.

If the converter really is the problem the builder should just do a warranty and get you a NEW converter- no converter rebuilds! And if the converter did die then it most likely shelled the transmission with little metal bits.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's a fresh build that never was happy then the issue isn't going to be in the converter. Many shops who are over their heads will try to put the blame on the unknown rather than fess up and go about solving the problem rather than trying to play the blame game. It happens all the time at shops all around the country, has happened for years and will continue to happen. Sorry to see you go through it yourself.

There are a multitute of things that can happen inside that transmission that would cause it to not pull after being symptomatic like it was for a few days.

My question would be why did you replace the sensors initially instead of taking back to the builder? Did someone scan it and tell you that BOTH speed sensors were bad? If so, I call BS. Never seen that happen before and probably won't. Maybe the guy that recommended you replace them suggested that you replace them both as "insurance" for down the road.... but that is a waste of time and money.

Work from a position of strength buddy! Get us some detailed factual info and we can help you make the right decision. Vince suggested taking the pan off, inspecting it for the boost valve assy and then getting some pics up... have you been able to do that? It's a great place to start.

If you'd like to discuss it in detail, feel free to give me a shout!

g
Old 11-14-2011, 03:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gilbert@Ace Racing
If it's a fresh build that never was happy then the issue isn't going to be in the converter. Many shops who are over their heads will try to put the blame on the unknown rather than fess up and go about solving the problem rather than trying to play the blame game. It happens all the time at shops all around the country, has happened for years and will continue to happen. Sorry to see you go through it yourself.

There are a multitute of things that can happen inside that transmission that would cause it to not pull after being symptomatic like it was for a few days.

My question would be why did you replace the sensors initially instead of taking back to the builder? Did someone scan it and tell you that BOTH speed sensors were bad? If so, I call BS. Never seen that happen before and probably won't. Maybe the guy that recommended you replace them suggested that you replace them both as "insurance" for down the road.... but that is a waste of time and money.

Work from a position of strength buddy! Get us some detailed factual info and we can help you make the right decision. Vince suggested taking the pan off, inspecting it for the boost valve assy and then getting some pics up... have you been able to do that? It's a great place to start.

If you'd like to discuss it in detail, feel free to give me a shout!

g
the guy who rebuilt it is out of lubbock tx which is an hour away from where i live. Im always out at work so dont have time to drop it off. Im better off trying to do some things myself at night when i get off work. I replaced the speed sensors because i was out of options on wat it could be. Surely enough the front one was cracked so thats my guess it was bad?? It took all the gears after that so i figured it had to be the problem. I will pull the pan tonight if i get time and check the boost valve and the valve body. Ill take pics as well of anything that may look out of the ordinary. I've learned my lesson not to take it to a cheap builder cause they dont replace everything that is neccessary.
Oh my scanner had a code come up P0650 INDICATOR DIAL MALFUNCTION before i replaced the speed sensor.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool... I'll be around this evening.

g
Old 11-15-2011, 07:21 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Suburbazine
I killed a new PI converter inside 20 miles. I wouldn't say it's the problem, but I wouldn't rule it out either.

If the converter really is the problem the builder should just do a warranty and get you a NEW converter- no converter rebuilds! And if the converter did die then it most likely shelled the transmission with little metal bits.
Unless you buy a new car you aren't getting a "new" converter. Almost all aftermarket converters or OEM parts counter are remanufactured.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:47 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is the truck a 4x4? I had a guy tow his truck 350 miles to me when his 80E had no gears forward or reverse. He had somehow bumped his t-case shifter into neutral. He was embarrassed when I showed him.

Quick Reply: 4l80e has no gears??