Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4L80E HD2 install questions and issues, please take a look

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L80E HD2 install questions and issues, please take a look

Got to work on the shift kit install today and ran into a couple of issues. The shift kit ended up coming with a new seperator plate. The old plate was just a single sheet of stamped steel and the new one in the shift kit is a multilayered piece that is held together by a few rivets, the type you would use to block off holes in the seperator plate. The layers vary in thickness as well, one being as thick as the original seperator plate, and the other two of a lesser thickness. I'm not too sure I want to use this plate because the total thickness of it is right at twice as thick as the original plate. I did order a new transgo plate at the same time as the kit didn't say one word about containing the seperator plate. The plate I ordered seperatly is just a single thick piece just like the original seperator plate. It also came with its own sheet of instructions stating to drill or block off such and such hole depending on the style of EPC solenoid in the trans. The plate I ordered seperataly from the kit seems like the one to use simply because its the same thickness as the original. Has anyone ran into this before? Its saying based on the type of EPC solenoid in the trans a hole may or may not have to be drilled. Seems simple enough and straight forward but mainly I wanted to get opinions on what seperator plate I should be using. Single thick one or the multilayered one?
Old 09-20-2008, 03:34 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to use the multi plate supplied with the transgo kit. That is the latest kit from TG and it is actually better than the old style kit. IMO The old kits had more drilling involved and you had to block holes in the separator plate which was a royal PITA. Follow the directions from the shift kit and you will be fine. Vince
Old 09-20-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
You need to use the multi plate supplied with the transgo kit. That is the latest kit from TG and it is actually better than the old style kit. IMO The old kits had more drilling involved and you had to block holes in the separator plate which was a royal PITA. Follow the directions from the shift kit and you will be fine. Vince
I guess I shouldn't question transgo but they are so damn vague on the details it makes you wonder. I am the type that likes to know why I am making such and such change, not just do this and we think you'll like it. I also wish they would clarify what all comes in the kits so I don't have a spare 15 dollar seperator plate laying around.

I had wondered if I had gotten the latest style kit when I saw the rivets were all ready hammered in. Whats funny is it mentions in the directions of the seperator plate I ordered seperately that it may be necessary to "peen" shut some holes yet it doesn't include any plugs/rivets to do so. Also on the instructions with the shift kit it doesn't mention anything about if you have the silver can EPC or the black can EPC to drill or plug such and such hole. It just made me wonder and thought it would be better off to ask then to screw something up. Other then that this shift kit IMO is a lot easier to install then the 60E kit. Then again I am doing this one on the bench and the 60E was in the truck.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:23 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to my world!