Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4L80E Intermediate Clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 09:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L80E Intermediate Clutch question

Need some help on my 4L80E rebuild. I have gotten pretty much everything buttoned up from the center support back. I went to install my intermediate clutches into the case and proceed to close up that assembly with the TransGo snap ring. After installing the snap ring I couldnt even turn the clutches with my fingertip, nor could I get a feeler gauge in behind the snapring to check a clearance! Thinking I did something wrong, I took the clutches out and put them back in and put the snap ring on. Same thing. My center support bolt as well as the cooler line were lined up on the money so I knew it had to be in my friction/plate assemblies. I mic'd my new steels and my new Raybestos Stage-1 waffled clutches (pictures attached) and found the difference was in the clutch plates (not the steels) stock looks like about .070 and my stage ones look about .090. I bought all the clutches in a kit and the rest went in like a dream. Why would they give me some crazy *** intermediates? I need these clutches as fast as possible and being a holiday weekend wittrans.com wont be back up until monday morning (the only place Ive found that gives me dimensions on the clutches). Anyone got any advice or even a solution on why I have one crazy set?

Stock clutch

Raybestos Stage-1 clutch

Last edited by gman4dx266; 11-28-2008 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you put the wave plate back in? Some clutch packs are designed to omit the wave plate.

Looks like this:

Number 684 in this exploded view:
Old 11-29-2008, 08:20 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the frictions you have would work for an early 80 but not a late unit. Those frictions look like they are for a TH400. If you were to remove the wave plate the intermediate piston would be below the tapered snapping. Basically the piston would not be setting on the first steel. I would not recommend doing this. Anytime you eliminate the wave here you will need the early 80 piston. Hope this helps. Vince
Old 11-29-2008, 09:19 AM
Teching In

Thanks ya'll. I have the ATSG book and i had everything installed like it said, or the best I could see some of it (lol at the fax machine printing quality)

Vince, The pack of frictions said 96-up 4L80E. I know for sure its not for a turbo400 because I had some 4th clutches sealed up in the package too! haha But I just went and read on the raybestos site on their PDF for the stage ones and it appears as so the 91-95 had a different set of intermediates. Anyways, no I Put the wave plate back in, because I wanted to do it right and not half-*** it. I will just go and buy the right .070 size when monday rolls around I guess.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like Vince got you on track - cool. Thanks for your help Vince!
Old 11-30-2008, 08:15 AM
Teching In

Sure did! Just one more question: Im ordering the correct discs for this and on the order page it says like $9.18. Is that the per-clutch price (as in, do I need to order 4, or is it the whole pack?) I was thinking that was a bit too cheap for 4, especially for stage 1's, but then again why would you order a single clutch disc...er...i mean I guess you could but...whatever? Thanks again guys
Old 11-30-2008, 10:11 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to think that is for a set of 4. I would ask them why they gave you the wrong clutches and see if they will send you the correct ones. That's the problem with most parts places they sell parts and do not know the first thing about building. I'm going to look in my manuals tomorrow because I have always used bog high energy frictions and they are always the same thickness. With that being said I am usually tightening the pack up not loosing it up. What do I know!
Old 11-30-2008, 10:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
I would have to think that is for a set of 4. I would ask them why they gave you the wrong clutches and see if they will send you the correct ones. That's the problem with most parts places they sell parts and do not know the first thing about building. I'm going to look in my manuals tomorrow because I have always used bog high energy frictions and they are always the same thickness. With that being said I am usually tightening the pack up not loosing it up. What do I know!
Well, Vince, I bought this super-de-duper master kit off ebay (hold the jokes please) from an actual trans shop, whom I will not name. I think they are honest from what I have heard, just need to be more specific on the ebay listing. That is another story though.

It really was a nice kit for the $ (bushing kit, lip seals, cooler fittings, even new ctr support and 4th clutch bolts). but now that I look back, it didnt say which years 4l80e it was for. The strange part is, if you look at this picture of my shrinkwrapped clutches, there are TWO different part # stickers. One is for the 91-95 and the other is for the 96+. I also see a third one that says 1991-E1995. So apparently it is a 91-95 kit. I have a local shop owner friend who is going to call WIT tomorrow. he says he may be able to get a really good shop rate for me.

I *could* buy a set of stock replacement raybestos's at my local Dacco Detroit, but the whole reason I went Stage-1 with kolene's is because I am hard as hell on this truck (100% throttle at every light, etc), and it is stock. This 4l80E is a 2003 model, the truck is an 02. the stock trans in the truck has been rebuilt twice and it has failed again, mostly because of an overpriced, dishonest shop. (It now has no reverse,no third. direct must be gone) Im just a fanatic about stuff matching I guess. Thanks a million, Vince. Let me know if you find anything!

ATTN JAMES. B! Please edit your post and remove that gigantic picture! It skews the whole page! LOL

Last edited by gman4dx266; 12-01-2008 at 12:02 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gman4dx266
ATTN JAMES. B! Please edit your post and remove that gigantic picture! It skews the whole page! LOL
Well, since you asked so nicely...
Old 11-30-2008, 11:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by James B.
Well, since you asked so nicely...

lol thanks! 'preciate it!

Quick Reply: 4L80E Intermediate Clutch question