Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l80E issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l80E issue

I have a 2003 chevy 2500hd with the 4l80E. Known issues so far. When we first got it from a auction, trans was low on fluid and there was no moment no matter what gear. Filled it up and worked good. Then reverse stopped working, but still had all forward gears. Neutral itself felt like it was in gear.. So I pulled the cluster out to fix the dim prndl. Soldered all the bad joints and put it back together. And tried to move it. And it only has reverse now. No forward gears, no matter what you select. There seems to be a very slight rpm drop when you put it in gear. Reverse is strong. I'm at a loss for where to even begin to look. I'm going to pick up a gauge this weekend to check the pressures when I go back to work on Tuesday. It's currently at my work. And it's currently a muddy mess in the yard.. I did check all the fuses before I pulled the cluster out and everyone was good.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

Did you try putting a scan tool on it and what gear the PCM says its in? Sounds like an electrical issue and not a hydraulic one but I am a mere amateur
Old 05-29-2017, 11:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

try swappin the park neutral switch on the side of trans. isn't stuck in limp mode is it? only second and reverse I wanna say. also reverts to max line pressure in limp mode and in reverse. check your vss sensors as well.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:40 AM

My scan tool is a cheap one so it doesn't read the gear selection. And i would think if it was stuck in limp mode i would be able to move forward. I could be wrong on that