Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4L80E is in... My impressions

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 09:56 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 4L80E is in... My impressions

Picked up my truck from the trans shop on Friday and spent some time driving in this last weekend.

1st gear is a bit sluggish with the factory stall. The truck doesnt lose traction as easy anymore either. Going 60 mph in first gear is nice though. Shifts are awesome, nice and firm, but not harsh. Shifts nicely under part throttle.

The transition through the gears is great. There is little or no fall off in power when the truck shifts through all the gears. 2nd does 99 mph!

Freeway driving is much better, with power more readily available. The gearing in the transmission allows the trucks to pull hard at a variety of speeds.

My 4l65e pulled much better in first gear, but then fell on its face when shifting to second gear until about 60mph. Before the trans swap, I would shift into 3rd at 90 mph during the 1/4 mile. 3rd gear was dead with the 65e.

I could definately tell that the 80e has sucked up more power by the way the trucks takes off, but we will see. I plan on going to the track on March 8th, we will see how it does.

Im going to wait and see if I will get a stall or not. I dont want horrible traction problems.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congradulation on the new tranny
Mark
Old 02-28-2006, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by j's01silverado
Picked up my truck from the trans shop on Friday and spent some time driving in this last weekend.

1st gear is a bit sluggish with the factory stall. The truck doesnt lose traction as easy anymore either. Going 60 mph in first gear is nice though. Shifts are awesome, nice and firm, but not harsh. Shifts nicely under part throttle.

The transition through the gears is great. There is little or no fall off in power when the truck shifts through all the gears. 2nd does 99 mph!

Freeway driving is much better, with power more readily available. The gearing in the transmission allows the trucks to pull hard at a variety of speeds.

My 4l65e pulled much better in first gear, but then fell on its face when shifting to second gear until about 60mph. Before the trans swap, I would shift into 3rd at 90 mph during the 1/4 mile. 3rd gear was dead with the 65e.

I could definately tell that the 80e has sucked up more power by the way the trucks takes off, but we will see. I plan on going to the track on March 8th, we will see how it does.

Im going to wait and see if I will get a stall or not. I dont want horrible traction problems.
mine should be together soon. I went ahead and dropped in a 6.0 to help out with first gear.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:54 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Get a stall, the stock converter is HEAVY! YOu will find with a 2400 stall, the truck will respond ALOT better
Old 03-01-2006, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
Get a stall, the stock converter is HEAVY! YOu will find with a 2400 stall, the truck will respond ALOT better
Thats what I was thinking? Which one would you reccomend?
Old 03-01-2006, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by 2004Denali
congradulation on the new tranny
Mark
Thanks bro. When we going to meet up at Sac Raceway??
Old 03-01-2006, 04:41 PM
9 Second Club

stock converter is only 65#...vs 35# for a 9.5 The converter in the classifieds is a good converter/deal if you dont tow. Quicksilverado is using the same one and his truck cut a 1.65 60' with it last year
Old 03-01-2006, 06:26 PM
TECH Addict

What did the install cost you? Did the shop have any problems with the install? Had they done an '80 swap previously? Is the converter install on an '80 as difficult as on a '60? Im already nearing 7K and I havent gotten everything I need for my motor and trans swap, so I may need to put off the converter. Im not putting crap on credit cards.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greentahoe
What did the install cost you? Did the shop have any problems with the install? Had they done an '80 swap previously? Is the converter install on an '80 as difficult as on a '60? Im already nearing 7K and I havent gotten everything I need for my motor and trans swap, so I may need to put off the converter. Im not putting crap on credit cards.
Troy, to bad you live so far away. If you were closer I could help and save you a bundle. The stall on the 80e is alot easier to swap. There is no bell housing on the bottom half of the tranny. This makes access to the converter much easier. You will hate life with the stock stall. When you finally get another one in it will make a huge difference.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by quicksilverado
Troy, to bad you live so far away. If you were closer I could help and save you a bundle. The stall on the 80e is alot easier to swap. There is no bell housing on the bottom half of the tranny. This makes access to the converter much easier. You will hate life with the stock stall. When you finally get another one in it will make a huge difference.
Dont tempt me.... Ive got plenty of paid time off. I wish I was local, I hate farming this stuff out, I dont trust others to work on things for me. I may have to wait for the rear end stuff too Im already out of pocket 6K and I havent gotten injectors $400, intank pump $120, additional '80 swap stuff.... and whatever its going to cost me to have the '80 swapped in

Quick Reply: 4L80E is in... My impressions