Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l80e rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

BTW, i am simply stating what i did, I design software for a living i don't build trannies....

Originally Posted by chris092183
J
Thanks fro the clarification Corey!

Does the transgo boost valve serve the same purpose as the Sonnax self regulating boost valve?
This is what Sonnax says about the self regulating valve

Common problems in vehicles with a 4L80-E transmission include uncontrollable line rise (upwards of 500 psi), high line pressure in reverse, broken direct clutch drums and/or broken cases. These problems can be caused by excessive EPC torque signal pressure. The Sonnax self-regulating reverse boost valve eliminates these problems by limiting EPC pressure. The boost valve has an encapsulated relief valve that will allow EPC pressure to exhaust if it exceeds 95-105 psi. A closely toleranced sleeve is included with the kit. This restores the hydraulic integrity between the valve and sleeve, which can also cause the problems mentioned previously. O-rings have been added to the sleeve to compensate for pump bore wear and prevent pump scrappage.

Also i don't know if it makes a difference but i aligned all my steels, on the assemblies had holes in it so i aligned the steel tabs to the holes...

Name:  4L80-125.jpg
Views: 1578
Size:  59.6 KB

Also i am assuming your using a manual. You might want to check out this manual, print it out and use it side by side with the standard manual... Using both together really helped me...

I have not idea who wrote it but i found it on the internet...

mattw2.dyndns.org:81/4L80E/Info/4L80-E%20Overhaul.doc
Old 02-08-2012, 02:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
BTW, i am simply stating what i did, I design software for a living i don't build trannies....

This is what Sonnax says about the self regulating valve

Also i don't know if it makes a difference but i aligned all my steels, on the assemblies had holes in it so i aligned the steel tabs to the holes...

Also i am assuming your using a manual. You might want to check out this manual, print it out and use it side by side with the standard manual... Using both together really helped me...

I have not idea who wrote it but i found it on the internet...

mattw2.dyndns.org:81/4L80E/Info/4L80-E%20Overhaul.doc

That's why ur soo quicklike at makin them there quick replies aint it? haha

That is what I was referring to and that is what I was thinking. However, on the 4th clutch housing there is no lube hole IIRC. There are also those other tabs with the different mod. I wonder what the deal is with those.

Sweet thanks brethren BlackGMC. It seems like there is always something left out in any manual so another manual will definately help!
Thanks
Old 02-08-2012, 03:07 AM
Resident Retard

Ya that manual i posted is pretty nice. I just stumbled across while doing some research.

So are you replacing all the bushings while you have it apart? I replaced all of mine except the really long center support one, there was no way i could have got it out and lined the new one up correctly without a press, so i left it.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

A couple of problems I ran into today:

1: 4th clutch: I forgot the way the inner lip seal went so I had to search google forever being that my astg manual doesn't state. If it does please point that out for future readers. After I finally figured that out, I was having a hell of a time getting those bastard Kent Moore 4th clutch tools to work. It seemed as if they were binding and leaving black plastic particles behind. Now I'm contemplating taking the pistons apart because I'm afraid I might have tore a lip seal or left plastic fragments behind.

2: I am having trouble with the bushing that goes on the back of the pump that rides on the input shaft. the inside diameter seems to be too big as I cant get the shaft in. Have any of you ever had bushing that came the wrong size? I used a bearing installer so I doubt I messed the bushing up.

3. I tore a solid sealing ring while I was screwing with problem #2.

What is the purpose for a pump alignment tool? I would think in order to align a pump you would need dowel pins similar to the dowel pins on the back of your engine block. In the case of the pump, they would be removable. How does the hose clamp/ zip tie deal work?
Old 02-08-2012, 03:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Ya that manual i posted is pretty nice. I just stumbled across while doing some research.

So are you replacing all the bushings while you have it apart? I replaced all of mine except the really long center support one, there was no way i could have got it out and lined the new one up correctly without a press, so i left it.
Thanks again for that manual. also check out scribd.com or

4L80E

It has very detailed pictures and info.

Yeah.I figured might as well while I'm in there. This 07 unit only saw about 60k miles. the bushings are pretty damn nice but I don't want any room for error in case something isn't right once I get it back together and on the road. I have replaced everything except that as well for that same reason. I am still wondering if I can make it happen with out covering the holes on the center support. Holy crap my 2003 unit's center support bushing had the grooves completely missing on the ends. I sold my press because I figured I would never do a rear end again, which I probably never will unless I have access to a lift and a new back lol. What a pain that was. But this tranny thing has me intrigued. I think i will continue to do this. It can definitely **** you off but it's still fun. I just picked up another 05 unit last week.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

what bearings are used when making the output shaft a roller? Does the output shaft thrust washer have a bearing incorporated in it or is it a thrust washer and a bearing?
Old 02-08-2012, 10:10 AM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by chris092183
what bearings are used when making the output shaft a roller? Does the output shaft thrust washer have a bearing incorporated in it or is it a thrust washer and a bearing?
I believe it is the rear pump bearing and shims from a TH350, i could be wrong thou...
Old 02-09-2012, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Corey. When I can get a ride (CHevy is on jacks, Volvo's head gasket is blown ) down to the transmission store, I will have to ask them to see those parts and try to see if they match up with the 80e components.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Doing the dual fed direct drums mods (parking pawl plug, drilling center support, leaving sealing rings off) will this make the trans full manual shift. I am unclear at this point from the mixed threads on various websites.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know the transgo hd2 kit does the dual feed. With the transgo my truck wasn't full manual shift. I'm not sure why people have said this dual feed mod will make the trans full manual.

Quick Reply: 4l80e rebuild