Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l80e Rebuild - Parts gathering

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 4l80e Rebuild - Parts gathering

The 80e in my truck is hurt. Already have a thread going on it. Anyway, instead of pulling the hurt one and going through it, I'm going to pull my spare low mile 03 out of the corner and go through it with some upgraded parts. I want to use this thread for discussions on what parts to get before I tear into it. Then make decisions on what I need once I get it torn apart.

Know I'm going to need a master kit with all gaskets and things. I also know I want to upgrade the frictions and sprag along with installing the Transgo HD-2 kit completely. What other parts are a no brainer to order ahead of time considering a low mile trans?

Right now I am considering Raybesto's Red Line Stag 1 and Kolene steels and their kevlar bands, or Alto Red Eagle and Kolene steels. Getting confused here with all the thicknesses and such. My first build I want something that "should" drop in. I also want a waved plate to work with transgo. Recommends and the right kit part numbers would come in handy
Old 06-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

however you decide, I'd use stock sized stuff if you want everything to "drop back in"
Old 06-07-2009, 03:41 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea, most stuff should be stock sized. but you wont know for sure until you start building it. Get a kit from the link I sent you...
Old 06-07-2009, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea it's too bad that nobody makes a real complete performance kit for the 80e

Originally Posted by KySilverado
The 80e in my truck is hurt. Already have a thread going on it. Anyway, instead of pulling the hurt one and going through it, I'm going to pull my spare low mile 03 out of the corner and go through it with some upgraded parts. I want to use this thread for discussions on what parts to get before I tear into it. Then make decisions on what I need once I get it torn apart.

Know I'm going to need a master kit with all gaskets and things. I also know I want to upgrade the frictions and sprag along with installing the Transgo HD-2 kit completely. What other parts are a no brainer to order ahead of time considering a low mile trans?

Right now I am considering Raybesto's Red Line Stag 1 and Kolene steels and their kevlar bands, or Alto Red Eagle and Kolene steels. Getting confused here with all the thicknesses and such. My first build I want something that "should" drop in. I also want a waved plate to work with transgo. Recommends and the right kit part numbers would come in handy
Old 06-07-2009, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'll get it figured out.

Wild, doesn't look like BulkPart offers the steels and frictions I'm wanting in a master kit. Have to piece mill it and thats where I'm stuck. I don't know what sizes.

Its really going to suck if I mess up this brand damn new transmission. I'm deep into it. Valve body and stuff off. Pump out. This thing is immaculate. Clean and zero sign of wear.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:51 PM
SPAM HUNTER

The kit i got from Hughes is pretty nice. It only lacks the HD sprag and 4th gear steels. Im getting the sprag from Hughes as well, and the steels from GM.
I hope it works for me But again i have an advantage i dont have an 11 second truck. Mine runs 15's at 95mph

Dustin
Old 06-07-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2005 Silverado
The kit i got from Hughes is pretty nice. It only lacks the HD sprag and 4th gear steels. Im getting the sprag from Hughes as well, and the steels from GM.
I hope it works for me But again i have an advantage i dont have an 11 second truck. Mine runs 15's at 95mph

Dustin
Appears that the kit from Hughes uses Alto Red Eagles and Blues. So far I havent' found the Hughes complete kit for a 96+ trans. I've found a complete friction kit form PATC that has all the ALTO frictions and steels. Might go that way and then just get a seal/gasket kit.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:58 PM
SPAM HUNTER

HP2589K This kit shows to be 97 + premium kit with kolene steels.

Dustin
Old 06-07-2009, 08:06 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/4l80e.htm

Check out the bottom of the page,parts and kits galour!
Old 06-07-2009, 08:18 PM

Get a good tranny cooler too

Quick Reply: 4l80e Rebuild - Parts gathering