Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l80e Rebuild - Parts gathering

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 02:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trany builder funny car crew chief buddy of mine suggested green clutches...can't remember the brand.
Also suggested a torque flight (I think) large snap ring. Apparently the snap ring is one of the main causes of failure. It lets go and rips all the little cast tabs out of the inside of the housing. The TF ring is wider and a neater fit.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Course I'm a complete newb at this. I've read everything I can find both here and elsewhere in preparation for this undertaking. It's a bit daunting but think I can get it done myself with the right tools. Blown3qt's and Bill Reids rebuild threads here are a very good resource.

Howard, don't know which snap ring you are talking about but transgo and a couple of the master rebuild kits come with thicker snap rings that hold the major components into place. In all of my reading I haven't found any green frictions. Course I don't know if I need funny car capable frictions. From my motorcycle off road days sounds like a favorite color of EBC.

I've got my eye on the Hughes master kit that 2005 Silverado chimes in with. It uses the Alto frictions and Kolene steels. It also appears that it uses more frictions and steels in some of the assemblies which may not be the "drop in" that I'm wanting.

Last night I got the victim (spare 80e) down to removing the pump. Then stared at it for several minutes. Pulled the first assembly out (overrun clutch) then basically got to hmmmm.... now what, and like to have never got it back in. I honestly cannot believe I am tearing down this transmission. It is pristine. I live by the addage, 'if it isn't broken, don't fix it."
Old 06-08-2009, 07:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by KySilverado
This thing is immaculate. Clean and zero sign of wear.
You run fast;eventually, there will be.

Originally Posted by bud8fan
yea it's too bad that nobody makes a real complete performance kit for the 80e
Prolly cause they're so strong to begin w/., no one saw the need.

Originally Posted by 2005 Silverado
The kit i got from Hughes is pretty nice. It only lacks the HD sprag and 4th gear steels. Im getting the sprag from Hughes as well, and the steels from GM.
I hope it works for me But again i have an advantage i dont have an 11 second truck. Mine runs 15's at 95mph

Dustin
At this time u don't.

Appears that the kit from Hughes uses Alto Red Eagles and Blues. So far I havent' found the Hughes complete kit for a 96+ trans. I've found a complete friction kit form PATC that has all the ALTO frictions and steels. Might go that way and then just get a seal/gasket kit.
...It uses the Alto frictions and Kolene steels. It also appears that it uses more frictions and steels in some of the assemblies which may not be the "drop in" that I'm wanting.

...now what, and like to have never got it back in. I honestly cannot believe I am tearing down this transmission. It is pristine. I live by the addage, 'if it isn't broken, don't fix it."
Back in the day, Alto & Kolene were the shiznit. Just cause a tranny or driveline part isn't broke, dosen't mean it can't be. Then again, were talkin the beasty 4L80E.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:15 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by howard quick
Trany builder funny car crew chief buddy of mine suggested green clutches...can't remember the brand.
Also suggested a torque flight (I think) large snap ring. Apparently the snap ring is one of the main causes of failure. It lets go and rips all the little cast tabs out of the inside of the housing. The TF ring is wider and a neater fit.
The HD-2 Transgo has thie larger snap ring as well. The larger snapring goes in after the low/reverse band.

I've got my eye on the Hughes master kit that 2005 Silverado chimes in with. It uses the Alto frictions and Kolene steels. It also appears that it uses more frictions and steels in some of the assemblies which may not be the "drop in" that I'm wanting.
Be careful of the "extra" friction and discs. using them along with the modifications the transgo kit has you do may cause issues. Transgo kit was designed to work with stock trans components. Not sure how well it would work if you remove all the wave plates to make room for your "extra" friction and disc.... And from my motorcycle background I learned stock friction and discs FTW.

Last edited by Wilde Racing; 06-08-2009 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Just my two cent's Rodger, but why don't you just shift kit your spare tranny and put it in, then rebuild the one you KNOW is broken. That way since you have a spare, built and ready to go tranny, the stock one will never break, lol.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the input guys. Everybody is making valid points and solid advice.

Now I'm leaning more toward just shift kitting the spare transmission, but the entire Transgo HD-2 kit, go in at least deep enough to do the springs and heavy duty snap ring. Then take my time beefing up the broken one.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:17 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Just my two cent's Rodger, but why don't you just shift kit your spare tranny and put it in, then rebuild the one you KNOW is broken. That way since you have a spare, built and ready to go tranny, the stock one will never break, lol.
Thanks for the input guys. Everybody is making valid points and solid advice.

Now I'm leaning more toward just shift kitting the spare transmission, but the entire Transgo HD-2 kit, go in at least deep enough to do the springs and heavy duty snap ring. Then take my time beefing up the broken one.
I read this whole thread thinking the same thing beef up the new trans and rebuild the broken while you're truck is already up and running.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm getting lazy though.... more like freakin sick of, swapping transmissions. If I just shift kit the spare and put it in, then build the broken one I then have to pull the spare transmission back out and put the built one in. If I build the spare I only have to swap them once. If I build it right
Old 06-08-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
The HD-2 Transgo has the larger snap ring as well. The larger snapring goes in after the low/reverse band.

Be careful of the "extra" friction and discs. using them along with the modifications the transgo kit has you do may cause issues. Transgo kit was designed to work with stock trans components. Not sure how well it would work if you remove all the wave plates to make room for your "extra" friction and disc.... And from my motorcycle background I learned stock friction and discs FTW.
That's good info right there! So my guess is the Transgo kit designed for 60e is again for stock components?

...If I build the spare I only have to swap them once. If I build it right
I like that idea - swap once! The only time I want to swap trannies is, after u blow up a stock one, build the **** out of one, swap blownup for built. Done. In theory.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:57 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I am with dusty on this one. Shift kit the spare,and build the broken one.

My two cents.

I too have purchased a prestine 4l80,and pushed my other 4l80 to the batters box. I have not decided on building or buying the next.

Quick Reply: 4l80e Rebuild - Parts gathering