Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4L80E Shift Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by adam1803
I forget all that it was, the instructions are fairly clear though as far as that goes. The only thing about the kit that sucks are two plugs that go into separator plate. The instructions say to lay the plugs in on a flat surface, and hit them with a hammer to expand them. Well that never worked for me and they ended up falling out, luckily i found them both in the pan. I would recommend soldering or brazing them into the plate in addition to expanding them with the hammer.
Sorry, I worded my question a bit wrong. Did you install the entire kit with a rebuild or did you just install the valve body mods? Thanks for the tip though.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKID
Sorry, I worded my question a bit wrong. Did you install the entire kit with a rebuild or did you just install the valve body mods? Thanks for the tip though.
I just did the valve body mods.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bill Reid
Did you file the seperator plate in the holes to give the plugs a sharp edge to bite onto? Vince at FLT walked me through it. Hope to have my tranny installed soon

Bill
Does it say to do that in the instructions? If so i must have missed it.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes... page 5 step 2. Thats what they mean by "chamfer" with a 5/16" drill bit. I used mini files. We'll see how it works out

BIll
Old 01-23-2008, 11:02 PM
TECH Regular

i'll post some pics from my HD2 install. I didn't install the internal parts. Here are some links from my install and problems, and solutions.. ha

Install
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=357815

Problem
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=378314

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...87&postcount=4

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=378805

Problem Solved
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=379215

I installed it in January. Forgot to install one plate, reinstalled and was problem free until November. Found two chamfer plates had blown out, abnormal wear on sep. plate from stock *****, and loose valve body.

I originally installed the transgo hd separator plate (thinking bigger is better) After having the problems, I got with vince at FLT and he advised me that he prefers the stock VB because it's thinner and excepts the chamfer plugs better. Also he likes the Torlon ***** over the metal as they do save from failures. I had Vince send me a stock plate that he chamfered the plugs for me and a set of torlon *****. Reinstalled, and have been running without a glitch.

Install wasn't bad, drilling so many holes was kind of nerve racking but definitely a learning experience.

There are lots of good people here with tons of info. Hope i've given a little insight!

Justin
Old 01-24-2008, 06:15 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Just a heads up fellas. Transgo has finally released a new hd2 kit that comes with a separator plate ready to install. No more stupid plugs! The first time I opened the box I was like where are the dam plugs. I then as most men do not do.....had to pick up and read the directions!!!! After further viewing it mention drilling the supplied plate.Looked in the bottom of the box and there was the plate. Whoops! I will tell you that not all of the kits out there come this way as the ones I have been getting have been hit or miss. Also they have eliminated some of the drilling that has to take place in the valve body housing itself. I have to tell you the old kid works but the new kit is way easier to install. Good luck BigKid. Vince
Old 01-24-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

hey vince you dont happen to have a new style hd-2 in the shop do ya? one that is forsale.

there are three different kits for the 80E and everyone recomends the hd-2 but many are just doing the valve body changes. does anyone know if one of the other kits are just the valvebody kit. i mean why pay for more parts then your going to use. im sure the price difference isn't much but still a buck is a buck.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

Looks like I am going to go with the HD-2 kit and save the internal pieces for when it gets rebuilt down the road. Thanks for all the tips and tricks Gentlemen!
Old 01-24-2008, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

That is the way I did mine and it has been working fine for 2 years.

There is a little trans tuning you will want to do.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone ever find out where to get this hd2 kit with the new plate? and is there any way to tell the new kit for the old kits?

Quick Reply: 4L80E Shift Kit?