Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l80e Swap guys...chime in

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l80e Swap guys...chime in

Alright im mainly looking for some 2wd guys who have done this swap....

I am really running into a problem where my driveshaft is way too short in my truck on the 80e swap.

Here is what im running into. I got all these parts from speed eng and its just not coming together well.

A 4l60e Trans is 30 3/4"
A 4l80e Trans is 32 3/16"

How is it possible that my driveshaft is now too short? Speed Eng sent me the new yoke but its really hanging out of the tranny way to far. I am getting dripping of oil, bad vibration which im sure is due to anlge as well which i can easily fix but i still am having problems with the length of the shaft.

I can unbolt the the driveshaft from the rear end and slide the yoke 1.25 inches farther in the trans than it will go now.....that doesnt seem right to me at all.

Excuse the angles cause i have jacked up the tranny when it was unbolted from the crossmember and the shaft wont go any farther in when bolted to the rear end.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:55 PM
Teching In

You need a longer drive-shaft.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Dub, don't drive it like that. Your getting way too much harmonic vibrations coming through the tranny yokes end play that's from it not being in far enough. Mine shows to have 1/2" to 3/4" of tranny yoke shaft showing.
How far will the trans yoke go into tranny before it stops?
Is possible to get a longer shafted yoke instead of changing DS?
Is that a custom or prefabbed tranny crossmember mount?
Be sure to check your yoke angle, then your DS angle. There should not be no more than 3* or no less than 1* of angle between them. If these angles are off, it may be easier to correct with a tranny shim since that is all that was changed.
You should ask Vince or Chuck @ FLT or Denny's Driveshafts about this issue to get a professional's opinion or advise.
Hope you get it figured out soon.

Jim
Old 12-09-2006, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im not driving it like it is.....i know there is a problem and im not driving it until its fixed. I drove it when i put the new tune in to check things out and realized what was going on and parked it right away.

I just cannot figure out why the driveshaft is coming up so short if the new tranny is longer.

I can slide the yoke 1.25 inches before itbottoms out in the trans.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Update please. I was looking 2 using that yolk on my swap.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

well the update is that speed engineering is not wiling ti help me in anywya. tjey have not given me any support in figuring out the problem and they have been very rude and offensive. I have finally asked to return all the parts for a full refund and ill put a built yt in I guess
Old 12-11-2006, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good luck with that, they didn't want to let me return my so called "custom" crossmember from them, i ended up selling it for over $100 less then what i paid.

Have you compared the length of the new yoke to your old one?
Old 12-11-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Dub Silverado
well the update is that speed engineering is not wiling ti help me in anywya. tjey have not given me any support in figuring out the problem and they have been very rude and offensive. I have finally asked to return all the parts for a full refund and ill put a built yt in I guess
Sorry to hear this. Especially to hear a sponsor here has shabby customer service and little knowledge about parts they sell!
I know where my business will not go.
What is a built yt?
Have you called Denny's or FLT on this problem?

Jim
Old 12-11-2006, 04:34 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Weird....SE helped me out when I had problems. Maybe they finally realized they can't keep paying to replace/exchange bad parts? Hope you get it fixed!
Old 12-11-2006, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have talked to dennys and a couple other drivetrain places and no one is able to build me a shaft in the length that mine needs to be. If you look at the picture of my yoke in the tranny you can tell its not right. Speed engineerings fix to this problem is have me pay for a new yoke that will be slightly longer so that it will go farther in the tranny and make a better connection with the splines but the same amount of shaft will still be showing like in the picture. From all the research from Dennys website and others it always says that the u joints should be as close as possible to the tailshaft which this obviously.

Speed Eng continues to tell me that my truck just must be weird and he cant tell me what could be possibly causing these problems. He also says he has sold well over 50 of these kits and never once had any kind of problem wiht any of them.

Quick Reply: 4l80e Swap guys...chime in