Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4L80E Swap!!!! I Need Help Por Favor!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L80E Swap!!!! I Need Help Por Favor!!!

Alright I'm doing it right now!!!!!!! I don't have jackstands to get the truck up in the air!!!! But I have most of the other equipment needed(tools, floor jack, fluids, etc)

Can anyone walk me through this process!!!!??????

So far I have disconnected the Y pipe and that's it!!! So from here where do I go???

Once I have done the next step that you guys mention, I will chime back in again to let you know that it is complete so you can give me the next step.

Thanks Fellas
Old 04-19-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

Are you in the process of removing your old tranny?

If so unnbolt the tranny mount, and remove all electrical connectors, cooler lines.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yep in the process right now!! I haven't dropped the transfer case yet or anything really!! Rear driveshaft is out!!!! Y pipe out!!! So next you say remove the crossmember, correct!?
Old 04-19-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh **** unbolt the mount....ok I see!! I'm on it...should I take out the front driveshaft as welll?
Old 04-19-2006, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

I forgot to see you have a Z71. Yes remove the front driveshaft unbolt the front u-joint and you will have to cut the boot at the t-case and the driveshaft slides right out.

Don't remove the crossmember just yet it's supporting the tranny and t-case.

After that unbolt the tranny from the cross member, and disconnect the electrical connectors, fluid lines, and shift linkage. You can also bolt the TC dust cover and TC from the flexplate (some call it flywheel)

After all that find out where your tranny fill tube is bolted on, I think it's the top bolt on the passenger side (tranny case mounting bolts to the engine) remove it. Removing this bolt will not hurt anything, just don't remove anymore you will be doing that later. After the bolt is removed, pull the fill tube up and out of the tranny. If you can pull it completely out that would be better.

I would not bother with pulling the t-case off unless you want too, you will also have to remove the torsion bar member to remove everything as one unit.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:16 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Drain the tranny and t-case fluid, disconnect all lines and wiring from the t-case first, then unbolt it and slide it straight back off the tranny output shaft. Be careful, it's go some good weight to it.

Then pull the starter off the engine to gain access to the flexplate. There should be three bolts on the flexplate holding the converter in place. You will have to turn the engine by hand to expose all of them. Remove all three bolts.

Next pull all the lines and electrical off the tranny, then support it with a jack and remove the crossmember. Once the crossmember is out of the way, you can drop the jack down and it should make it a little bit easier to get to the upper bellhousing bolts. Remove all the bellhousing bolts (there are 6, if I remember correctly....one at top center, three others on the driver's side as you work your way down, and two others on the passenger side. Make sure that the jack is still carrying most of the weight of the tranny, or once you pull the last bolt it will try to fall on you. Once that is done you should be able to slide the tranny back and it will come out.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:17 AM
High on diesel fumes

Originally Posted by 01Blackerado
Oh **** unbolt the mount....ok I see!! I'm on it...should I take out the front driveshaft as welll?
yes, both drive shafts need to come out.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:19 AM
High on diesel fumes

Originally Posted by cbrich
I forgot to see you have a Z71. Yes remove the front driveshaft unbolt the front u-joint and you will have to cut the boot at the t-case and the driveshaft slides right out.

Don't remove the crossmember just yet it's supporting the tranny and t-case.

After that unbolt the tranny from the cross member, and disconnect the electrical connectors, fluid lines, and shift linkage. You can also bolt the TC dust cover and TC from the flexplate (some call it flywheel)

After all that find out where your tranny fill tube is bolted on, I think it's the top bolt on the passenger side (tranny case mounting bolts to the engine) remove it. Removing this bolt will not hurt anything, just don't remove anymore you will be doing that later. After the bolt is removed, pull the fill tube up and out of the tranny. If you can pull it completely out that would be better.

I would not bother with pulling the t-case off unless you want too, you will also have to remove the torsion bar member to remove everything as one unit.
Damn you beat me to it

I personally would remove the t-case so I didn't have to remove the torsion bar crossmember and throw the alignment off, but you can do it either way.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by thunder550
Then pull the starter off the engine to gain access to the flywheel. There should be three bolts on the flywheel holding the converter in place. You will have to turn the engine by hand to expose all of them. Remove all three bolts.

The last time I saw a 4L60E, they have TC dust cover which is a lot easier to gain access to the TC bolts, 2 at a time. I know removing the TC on an Allison is how you describe it.

Another way of removing the tranny and t-case is do what Thunder550 did, remove engine, tranny, and t-case all at once. That was impressive.

I got to go, the woman is bitching. She wants to eat at a nice place since I got the day off.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:22 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm, mines been out about 10 times, and it wasnt that invloved. I usually dont pull the front drive shaft out of the T-case. Its a pain in the *** to get to the top bolts on the T-case, but it makes it easier, just not always worth the trouble. Ive done it both ways several times each way. Pull the Y pipe, drop the front drive shaft from the U joint, pull the rear (I think youre this far already) unbolt the tranny crossmember an drop it. Pull the starter, and the black plastic piece that the starter goes through. Pull the TC bolts, disconnect all lines, and wires, start loosening bolts (the one with the dip stick first, and get the dip stick out). Go ahead and get the tranny jack under there (hope youre using one, or have some help) start pulling bolts (the top one is a bitch, but can be gotten (<is that a word, or did I just make up another one?) to easily with a 15mm gear wrench. Once all the bolts are out, start wiggling the tranny off the engine. (watch your arms, they hurt like a bitch when the tranny falls on one) Drink a cold beer, then lower it down and trash the 60.

Quick Reply: 4L80E Swap!!!! I Need Help Por Favor!!!