Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4L80e Swap PRNDL switch problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L80e Swap PRNDL switch problem

Ive ran into an issue with my swap. Im letting a friend of mine who owns a transmission shop put the trans in for me since I'm at work all the time and don't have time to install it myself. He called me today and said that my stock PRNDL switch wont fit the 80e trans. The 80e is an older style with the cooler lines close together but from everything I've read there arent any issues with using the older cases other than theyre missing the top bolt hole on the bell housing. I really need to get this swap done asap as my son will be born next week and I have to get the truck back on the road. If anyone has any info on this please PM me or post up here. Thanks in advance!

Zach

Last edited by 1FastBrick; 07-18-2012 at 11:21 PM. Reason: personal information removed for your protection.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:03 PM
MASS seller approved

91-93 dont have the holes threaded for it, or the shaft long enough to mount the switch, sorry to say. Only 94-up will work with your prindle.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

Unfortunately I think that's what I ran into. The Trans was so dirty when I bought it and it didn't have a prndl switch on it that I didn't even think to look for bolt holes, not something that even crossed my mind. And now from looking at pictures I see that the pre 94 trannies don't even have the lugs that could be drilled and tapped for the switch. I'm kinda at a loss because of what I've already been through for this transmission and can't believe that the guy I bought it from AND the guy that built it didn't notice this as they are both transmission and LS based "experts" so basically what I have is an expensive paperweight.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

no...all you have to do is change the PRNDL (shifter)shaft the switch is on to the long shaft if im not mistaken
Old 07-18-2012, 08:01 PM
TECH Resident

I'm also going to have to figure out a way to fab a bracket to mount the switch to the case as there are no bolt holes to mount it to and the lugs where the bolt holes should be are not there either, eliminating the ability to drill and tap holes for the switch. The shaft is an easy fix, mounting the switch to the trans case is the problem.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:37 PM
MASS seller approved

Bummer dude, I spoke with Jake at jake's performance and he alerted me about that when I was shopping for used trannys, he may be a good source for the new shaft. Could probably fab a bracket for the mounting of the switch, make sure the cable bracket has provisions to bolt on at the rear or you will really be s.o.l.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a newer position/shifter shaft and then got some scrap aluminum strap and made support mounts for the switch. The straps are anchored to a bolt from each speed sensor and this works without issue for me.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or you could just put the switch in neutral and still drive it till you can get it figured out.
Just wont have any reverse lights and need to set the tune so the P/N rev limiter isnt set lower than the shift points.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

Well I found out this morning that mounting the switch wouldn't be too big of a deal but there is no where to mount the cable to towards the rear or the tranny. Looks like I'm going to scrap this case and find a newer one and just swap over the shift kit and clutches to the newer unit.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

overcome and improvise

a couple of simple brackets shouldn't be an issue
surely you must know a fabricator ur um "Rigger"

Quick Reply: 4L80e Swap PRNDL switch problem