Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l80e swap shift solenoid issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 09:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4l80e swap shift solenoid issue

After the 4l80e swap, and doing the relay method I am having an issue. I had the few codes disabled that were called for btw. I have noticed if the solenoid is plugged in the truck doesn't want to move. If it is unplugged, the truck drives fine then shifts to second and if I put the relay in, it shifts to third and so on. Truck drives fine this way until you get into first gear again and have to unplug it. Is there something I am missing? I followed the relay method write up exactly as it says.

Also, wanted to say that the relay is clicked when the truck is in park. I was thinking it should only work when the truck goes into second gear, but I guess I'm wrong...???
Old 12-29-2014, 09:12 PM
TECH Resident

Forgot to add that the truck is throw P0758 which is 2-3 shift solenoid control circuit as per my buddies cscanner
Old 01-05-2015, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

Is there any reason the truck should not want to take off in first from a stop with the relay plugged in? If I unplug it, the truck takes off fine, then have to re plug it in for everything to go smooth through all gears.... I'm at a loss and haven't been able to find any answers online.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am not smart enough to help. I'm just replying to let you know your thread is at least being read! Good luck!
Old 01-06-2015, 02:35 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, People do read.. But what is agrivating is when you have 500 views and no comments of the help when you need it... Go to the top and enter Jakes Performance in the search bar.. Hit Jake up. I have had business dealings with this guy and he is top notch stand up dude who will be doing all my future 4L80e builds. He knows his **** and he gives a damn. My only advise is stop driving it untill you get the issue nailed down.. Mine started like that and ended up in a total rebuild... By driving it you have end up cost yourself double or more in damage. and by all means, when you do find out the issue and get it resolved please come back here and tell us about it.. This is how we learn.. Good luck man!
Old 01-06-2015, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks man, yeah the truck probably hasn't gone 10 miles. Thats the exact reason is that I don't want to destroy a good transmission. Also, I did contact Jake and explained the situation and all he offered was for me to buy a speartech harness. I know my wiring is correct and I'm pretty sure if if installed it and pinned back to 60 e harness that I would have the same issue. I was hoping someone else had run into this. Maybe it's something wrong in my tune....
Old 01-06-2015, 12:29 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but why not just add ISS and do a segment swap? You may have already stated this, but I missed it.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

I actually did add the iss earlier for some damn reason thinking it needed it. I was planning on the segment swap, but my tuner talked me out of it. I think he has problems with them in the past is why he didn't want to do it.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:54 PM
FormerVendor

I'm pretty sure we offered more tech than to just send you to another vendor for a harness.

Diagnosing this type of issue will require the proper tools.
That being a scanner capable of commanding the shift solenoids. Snap on Modus or Solus, HPTuners, EFILive, etc.
A multimeter.
A wiring diagram.

Key on, you MUST have 12V to the E pin AT THE TRANSMISSION.
You must also have power supplied to the relay if you are using that method.

If you command 1st gear, or the A solenoid, you should have continuity to ground from the A wire on the transmission main connector. That means put the multimeter between the A wire and the transmission case or frame and it should show a fairly low ohm reading. 2-3 ohms max. When you turn the solenoid off the ohms should go infinite, NO continuity.
So in 1st and 4th, the A solenoid will he grounded, but not in 2nd or 3rd.

The test is the same for the B wire and solenoid, except it should be on in 3rd and 4th, and off in 1st and 2nd.
If you are using a relay, you will be commanding this "off" to turn it on.

Be sure your relay is a NO/NC relay with a pin 87 and pin 87a. If it's a NC/NC relay it won't work.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:07 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bad2k
I actually did add the iss earlier for some damn reason thinking it needed it. I was planning on the segment swap, but my tuner talked me out of it. I think he has problems with them in the past is why he didn't want to do it.
The only time I ever hear of issues is with the relay method. I've done 4 or 5 via a segment swap. No issue.

Quick Reply: 4l80e swap shift solenoid issue