Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l80e swap shift solenoid issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 02:24 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
The only time I ever hear of issues is with the relay method. I've done 4 or 5 via a segment swap. No issue.
The segment swap isn't available for all vehicles and some tuning the aspects haven't been available until recently.
The relay method works fine when it is needed and properly done.

The 4L80E has very simple electronic controls, especially for shift strategy. On/off. It just does what it's commanded.
I can't even begin to convey how often we have helped customers and other people diagnose their wiring/tuning issues.
It takes the proper tools and some time.
Understanding WHAT you are trying to accomplish and how it works helps.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
I'm pretty sure we offered more tech than to just send you to another vendor for a harness.

Diagnosing this type of issue will require the proper tools.
That being a scanner capable of commanding the shift solenoids. Snap on Modus or Solus, HPTuners, EFILive, etc.
A multimeter.
A wiring diagram.

Key on, you MUST have 12V to the E pin AT THE TRANSMISSION.
You must also have power supplied to the relay if you are using that method.

If you command 1st gear, or the A solenoid, you should have continuity to ground from the A wire on the transmission main connector. That means put the multimeter between the A wire and the transmission case or frame and it should show a fairly low ohm reading. 2-3 ohms max. When you turn the solenoid off the ohms should go infinite, NO continuity.
So in 1st and 4th, the A solenoid will he grounded, but not in 2nd or 3rd.

The test is the same for the B wire and solenoid, except it should be on in 3rd and 4th, and off in 1st and 2nd.
If you are using a relay, you will be commanding this "off" to turn it on.

Be sure your relay is a NO/NC relay with a pin 87 and pin 87a. If it's a NC/NC relay it won't work.
Sorry if it came off rude, I definitely didn't mean it that way. I'm not sure if you are the person who I spoke with on the phone yesterday, but the answer you just typed up was what I was hoping for yesterday. I didn't really want to buy a harness and just have this exact same issue in the end. I want to know what is going wrong. I also sorta figured it was possibly bc I didn't buy a trans from you guys, which is understandable that you didn't wanna spend time to diagnose my issue. Thank you for the reply and I will try this all tomorrow.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
The only time I ever hear of issues is with the relay method. I've done 4 or 5 via a segment swap. No issue.
That's what I was ginger to look into I I can't figure this out. Truck has been out of commission for 10 months due to blown trans and I'm just now able to try to get the swap done. Everything is complete except this issue though.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:46 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

If its just the 2-3 solenoid did you check the wires for that signal to make sure nothing was damaged? Pin B.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
If its just the 2-3 solenoid did you check the wires for that signal to make sure nothing was damaged? Pin B.
I'll check that as well. They work fine if I start driving with the relay unplugged then plug it in to shift to second, then it goes to third and so on.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:10 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 1bad2k
Sorry if it came off rude, I definitely didn't mean it that way. I'm not sure if you are the person who I spoke with on the phone yesterday, but the answer you just typed up was what I was hoping for yesterday. I didn't really want to buy a harness and just have this exact same issue in the end. I want to know what is going wrong. I also sorta figured it was possibly bc I didn't buy a trans from you guys, which is understandable that you didn't wanna spend time to diagnose my issue. Thank you for the reply and I will try this all tomorrow.

I do have to limit my resources and try to concentrate on our paying customers however we try to help anybody we can.

Oftentimes I can give this same explanation and end up trying to teach guys how to use a multimeter over the phone.
Diagnosing these issues requires the proper tools AND some mechanical know how. I can't teach everybody how to use a multimeter over the phone, so when it gets to that point I suggest that someone seek professional help from an experienced technician.