Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4L80E too much transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Ok, thanks for the input. The greasable 3R is what snapped on mine. But it took over 900 hp
900HP, what a horrible problem to have. I hope you're coping.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Spicer 1350 solids in mine, but my 1/2 ton already had a 4L80E sized U-joints, removed the 60E yoke, slight cut, reweld, balance, 4L80E yoke and down the road.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

I've had pretty decent/hard use of my 60e for the past 2 years. For the better part of 18months, I've had TM removed completely.

Now, I wouldn't suggest doing that without first "tuning" the FMC table(s) and modifying the line pressures a bit.

I know what you're thinking, going all out on the line pressures...no, not at all.

I for everyday driving, I command 90lbs starting at 300ft-lb of torque. In the performance table, I command 94lbs across the board and lower shift times. I think I am running .250 shift times right now.

The FMC table is really where the "feel" of the shift comes from. I've got a nice, firm, positive shift.

The problem with the stock FMC table is that at 100% throttle, GM is bleeding off the pressure.

(knowledge gleaned from jimmyblue at ls1tech)
Old 12-23-2015, 08:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I've blown through two builds of my 60e behind a built 383 stroker. Its a daily driver and I honestly don't have the best restraint on the pedal so the 80e swap needs to be my next mod. I know I'll sacrifice a little weight in the ends but it's worth saving the $1,200 bucks every 18 months or so to rebuild the weaker tranny. Besides, I'll even out the weight issue by getting rid of the rear bumper for a rollpan and a few other weight related tweeks. Just dropping the spare alone saves the diff between the 60e and 80e in the short term.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:51 AM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by James B.
Thanks, glad to be of help.
I'm not familiar enough with the OEM specifications of GMT800 propeller shafts to say whether or not it would be feasible to modify the stock shaft. There are two criteria - in order to install a 1350 yoke at the transmission end of it the existing 3R yoke has to be cut off, so there needs to be enough length remaining of what's left. The other factor is material thickness and whether or not your fab shop is going to comfortable welding the OEM material and rebalancing it. I'm only familiar with local shops around me (Riverside, CA) and always use Inland Empire Driveline in Corona. Almost any driveline shop can make what you need though, they're nothing special.
As to the differences I was talking about between the fixed-yoke and slip-yoke versions of 480-E, here and example that shows the different types of shafts compatible with each. Note the slipyoke on the aluminim shaft pictured is for a Gear Vendors overdrive and is short, 4L80-E slipyokes are a lot longer.
Mine is a GMT900, are you familiar with them?
I'll have to get some measurements to get the exact length that the driveshaft needs to be cut down. It will be cut on a lathe.
I would weld it after cutting it. I'm a weldor by trade with a little experience under my belt
If there comes a time that I am not comfortable with what's happening. I can call the shop who built my rear-end and drop it off.
They would probably know the difference in yokes you are talking about, correct? I'm going to send them an e-mail.
Picture/Link doesn't work

Thanks again James, I appreciate your time and info

Originally Posted by tgui
900HP, what a horrible problem to have. I hope you're coping.

Hahaha, I was thinking the same thing.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Typically most reputable driveshaft shops will damn near refuse to modify a stock shaft, i have seen how thin the walls of a stock gmt800 driveshaft are.... I have arrows with thicker walls...best bet would be to have one built!!!
Old 12-24-2015, 03:55 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Curious.
Could I buy some material at the OE diameter with a greater thickness and build one that way?
Old 12-24-2015, 06:26 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can have a shaft built for $300-400 and it's worth the money for piece of mind. I have a NA 5.3(nitrous currently disconnected) and I swapped to a built 4l80. I do have other plans in the future, but I have zero trans worries and I like the split from 1st to 2nd gear so much better. No more lugging after the shift. My mpg have stayed within 1-2 mpg difference. I will never own another 60e in a truck again for the shift alone. Also I drove for 2 years with all torque management removed,3200 stall, factory external trans cooler,bolt ons and 100 shot. Thought I broke my 60e, found out it was a mouse under the engine fuse box eating wires.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Dont see why not so long as it is of prper strenth.... Blamcing it would be hardest part
Old 12-24-2015, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
Typically most reputable driveshaft shops will damn near refuse to modify a stock shaft, i have seen how thin the walls of a stock gmt800 driveshaft are.... I have arrows with thicker walls...best bet would be to have one built!!!
My swapping gmt800 driveshaft was modded. Then again it didn't have a spot of rust on it. My old driveshaft is rusted to crap.

Quick Reply: 4L80E too much transmission?