Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4wd-2wd

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Silv4.8
I think u can just strip the shafts out of the front and it'll be fine
nonono, you cant take the cvs out without putting a dummy cv in, the cv holds the wheel bearings together. Once you make dummies out of your cvs they are junk so find someone with broken ones and use those.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:36 AM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats what i said . . . . .
Old 11-08-2007, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

just swap hubs and pull the shafts and driveshaft, the tranny would need to be taken apart to swap it 2wd, so you would still need to have the tcase on there unless you take it apart, and youd leave the differential too. I dont see how you would benefit at all, yes IMD gets better mileage, but thats because its a 6spd.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:21 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GMracer
just swap hubs and pull the shafts and driveshaft, the tranny would need to be taken apart to swap it 2wd, so you would still need to have the tcase on there unless you take it apart, and youd leave the differential too. I dont see how you would benefit at all, yes IMD gets better mileage, but thats because its a 6spd.
even when its in 2wd the front axles are still spinning thus=drag=poor mpg. even the drive shaft will spin alittle when its not engaged thus creating more drag
Old 11-08-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Regular

Sell it and buy a 2wd and a beater for winter, thats stupid to do all that swapping to make it 2 and 4 all the time. Its never gonna be a rocket with 35s anyway........
Old 11-08-2007, 06:35 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It would be cheaper to leave it lifted in the winter and drop it in the summer. I saw 3-4 mpg difference when it was lowered as opposed to when it was slightly lifted.
The biggest mod you can ever do for fuel economy is lowering your vehicle hands down! The lower it is the better the mpg.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

.... look << I live in VEGAS. Were lucky to get rain 4 times a year. Let alone get cold enough for snow. Would you drop this truck \/\/ ??? Fiberglass fenders and brushguard and i need it lifted in the summer for the desert, but you dont need 4wd in the desert out here except for certain areas in which case if i wanted to go out there bad enough i'd put it all back together. On the issue of drag from the cv's, i buy 2wd hubs if im pulling the front diff. I could also leave the front diff in during the winter and just pull the tc and ds. And for it being a hassle..... this is my sideyard but with the boat out of the way now

Back to my question.... all im asking is whats involved in the whole output shaft and tailshaft deal and what each part is exactly. Can the output shaft housing be removed and replaced w/ a 2wd one? or is there even a housing to remove? Im just going by the little info i was able to find from other threads. There isnt much info in those either bc of ppl doing the same thing you guys have done; give us **** for wanting to mod our trucks.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh, and im not looking for amazing gas mileage. If i actually cared id go buy a honda. I'd like to get a decent gain in power bc being blown and only being a bit faster than a sss is weak. The biggest reason is just to screw around and because i barely ever use 4wd unless i go to utah or norcal to go snowboarding. I might eventually go full 2wd to make it easier to get more travel out of the front end and i refuse to buy another truck and sell this one bc of sentimental value and all the work ive put into it myself.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

any help?
Old 11-09-2007, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

the tranny needs to be taken apart internally to swap, might as well leave the tcase in there