Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

6 inch rear drop on a 4wd how?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 11:31 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 6 inch rear drop on a 4wd how?

I was looking at the way my new tires and wheels sit onmy truck and it needs to come down about 6 inches for me to be happy. I dont want aftermarket springs cause I want full towing and weight carrying capacity. I can remove the lift blocks and put shackles on for 4 inches but how can I achieve the extra inch or two. The rear end is going to come up some too when I put a roll pan on and if I ditch the rear hitch but I carry a 4 wheeler and hunting gear. Im a noob to dropping a truck thought I would never do it to my 4wd but I think I should a suspension under the truck that can handle the power Im going to be putting out. Later on this truck will be on 40's but for now Im going for the fast theme.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Slow.. post some pics of your new wheels, yeah you going to have one hell of hunting truck whe you get threw...
Old 01-04-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The rear setup on the 2wd and 4wd are the same, so all the components will work. If you want 6" from factory, do like you said and take the blocks out, put some shackles on, and then get some hangers for the front of the leaf spring. This should give you around 6".

What are your plans for the front? I know you can get keys to lower the front down like 2-3" and I thought I saw someone post something about lower control arms for 2-3" drop.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:44 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You can also use spindles in the front. I dropped mine using shackles and loosening the torsion bars, but it still needs to come down a couple more inches. I know what you mean about dropping a 4wd. Thats why I want to be able to bring mine back up easy. I always said "lowriders are for guys that cant get it up", now Im dropping mine.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah, I would take out the blocks in the back, I believe there are 2" blocks stock. Then go with 2" shackles and 2" hangers should get ya there. don't quote me on this though cause I, like you have never dropped a 4wd. You might question Parish about it to see, he dropped his a bit I believe. Don't know how this would affect your driveline angle though. I'm sure you'd have to shim it up quite a bit.

You could always bag it. lol.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:03 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I ask Parish what he did, cause I like the stance, and those are the wheels I plan to get. He said he pulled the blocks, and used shackles. I got a set of shackles, but havent pulled the blocks yet. Hope that helps some. But if you added hangers, you should be right at a 6" drop in the rear. Whats your plans for the front?
Old 01-04-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Throw about 500lbs of crap in the bed.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:10 PM

The front Im going to loosen the t-bars some cut the bumstops and put some McGaugheys spindles in the front. That should net me 2-3 inches in the front thats all I need. White I had the same saying about that but I forsee many 100+mph runs so its needs to come down some. Im going to get one of those new tahoe lower valance extensions to help knock down some of the wind underneath. I had heard of hangers before but didnt know how htey work. Im going to get some pics of the new wheels they arent anything special but its in the garage right now since Im putting the motor in so I cant get a good pic being so close and all once I get it all cleaned up and everything Ill take some new pics since some things have changed appearance wise since its been down for 3-4months
Old 01-04-2006, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would definatly pm parish. i can't exactly remember how he did it, but he brought the rear of his truck WAY down!
Old 01-05-2006, 05:53 AM

He just did the lift block delete and shackles talked to him about it a long time ago. I want ~5"s of drop so the shackle, lift block removal and hanger combo will be perfect. Need to start looking into how much everything is going to cost.

Quick Reply: 6 inch rear drop on a 4wd how?