Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

60E shift improvement

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 01:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 60E shift improvement

i am quite aware that with my current setup and vehicle weight, my tranny is not going to be up to the task forever. so far it has about 45K since a rebuild, stock TC, B&M shift kit (not sure of quality as i didnt install it), and it has been tuned to maximun shift firmness. i was just looking for some suggesions to help my tranny shift better/harder and help it stand up to the abuse i throw at it until i can afford to get a built unit? servos, new shift kit, trnny cooler? any help would be great.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:31 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

servos, new shift kit, trnny cooler
Yes.
These mods will help prolong the life of your trans.

Of course you'll want to return tuned pressures back to stock after installing.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sprayed8
i am quite aware that with my current setup and vehicle weight, my tranny is not going to be up to the task forever. so far it has about 45K since a rebuild, stock TC, B&M shift kit (not sure of quality as i didnt install it), and it has been tuned to maximun shift firmness. i was just looking for some suggesions to help my tranny shift better/harder and help it stand up to the abuse i throw at it until i can afford to get a built unit? servos, new shift kit, trnny cooler? any help would be great.
SERVO'S AND TRANNY COOLER WOULD DEFINITELY HELP... BUT THE SHIFT KIT YOU SAID YOU ALREADY HAD... IF YOU LOOK TO THE SPONSORS TO THE RIGHT THEY COULD HELP YA OUT
Old 01-14-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

what is the purpose of tuning the shift pressure back down to stock? is it just because there is the potential of breaking something from too hard a shift? any other parts you would recommend?
Old 01-14-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sprayed8
what is the purpose of tuning the shift pressure back down to stock? is it just because there is the potential of breaking something from too hard a shift? any other parts you would recommend?
BY TUNING THE SHIFT PRESSURES BACK TO STOCK HES TALKING ABOUT IN THE COMPUTER.... AND THATS BECAUSE THE SHIFT KIT MAKES THE SHIFTS FIRMER, SO IF YOU HAVE THE COMPUTER TRYING TO MAKE THEM FIRMER, AND YOUR SHIFT KIT DOING SO YOU ARE BOUND TO BREAK SOMETHING
Old 01-14-2008, 04:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

thats certainly what i am tring to avoid. also, how much will a higher stal converter affect the tranny. if i got the Yank TT3200 for example, would the extra shock of launching at around 3200 rpms as opposed to 2000 right now hurt the tranny more, or do you think it will be able to handle it? as you can tell i'm new to transmission stuff, i never thought that buying a CAI would set off a slew of modding that would lead me to the point where i'm worrying about my tranny.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:37 PM
TECH Junkie

the stall will make your shifts feel softer from being a looser converter than stock. Of course a 3200 vs a stock is more shock on the hard parts than launching at 2k. You make a decent bit more power at 3200 than 2k so it's only logical to put more strain on it.
you don't want to run the boosted shift pressures like said above because it will cause the hard parts to take a beating and most importantly your pump is likely to break on ya and thats never good.
the shift kit,servo and cooler should help out make things last a while longer for ya even with the larger stall converter.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for the input. i keep adding more go fast parts to my car to lower my ETs but i need to start saving time somewhere else so i dont kill my tranny outright. i think a stall will be my best bet to lower ETs. its either that or a bigger nitrous jet and that always seems to lead to trouble
Old 01-14-2008, 10:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hah, take those 33s off and put like 18s on there and u'll see a WORLD of difference.. just my 2cents.. personally have never been a fan of the lifted street runner, doesnt make sence. And then perf parts on top of that ur just trying to catch back up to stock it seems but hey, its ur truck do what u want and make it ur own
Old 01-14-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

At least i have the 5.3...just kidding
i know what your saying, when i got the 33s i wasn't planning on building a truck to race, but one thing led to another and here i am. i'm just looking to gat a set of stock rims and some decent rubber before this coming season for the track. i love my 33s and money is tight (in college) so its taking a while.

Quick Reply: 60E shift improvement