Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

-6an fittings for Tru-cool 40k?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013 | 05:34 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Originally Posted by Blown06
I'm not gonna argue with you. Loctite makes that product (which is a thread sealant) for guys in your exact situation, or when flares are damaged beyond sealing. Its like "liquid nails". Your not gonna build a house with it, but it works good for fixing broken wooden **** around the house.

If you have flare fittings that are new and/or undamaged, no sealant is needed for proper sealing.

Why do you think they put those flares there in the first place?
This is absolutely correct .

These fittings are made to have a mechanical seal , no pipe thread sealant or paste is required to complete the seal.

Same with threaded pipe/fittings , pipe sealant /dope is actually a lubricant, it lets the threads fully intermesh to make a mechanical seal .

Now in the real world some times you have to make stuff work and there is no harm in that

Blown06 was just stating the factual idea behind the way the fitting was designed . I don't think he was trying to insult ya 'Niff
Old 01-12-2013 | 06:04 AM

I didnt take it as an insult TIM Z just asking considering every fitting i install at work has a thread sealant except for JIC and a bulk head fitting. We dont use teflon tape, just "pipe dope".

The fitting i listed didnt bottom out at the "hex" of the fitting, but i didnt try it with out any thread sealant