Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

7 speed for vette 2013

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 12:49 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Time for CVT?? Hmmmmmmmm. One gear, all go. Like a snowmachine!!

Or, like a snowmobile, for all you southerners.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't bother me one bit because I won't be able to afford a new vehicle till 2020 or after anyway lol
Old 09-26-2011, 03:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldred95
I heard Ford is looking into an 8 speed for the Power Chokes at some point. I really don't see the need for all these gears. They are going to have these things acting like fully loaded big rigs taking off from a stop having to go through every gear whether it needs to or not. 5 evenly spaced gears is more than sufficient. They need to bring back the 4L80E and figure out a way of adding a .67:1 double OD to it. That would be just about as perfect as you can get IMO.
I agree, we need a 5L80E. That'd be perfect IMO.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Time for CVT??
They are getting more popular however the issue is these units like to grenade! I see about one a month that is just exploded. With that being said its a little different when traction is involved with pavement over ice and snow!
Old 09-27-2011, 06:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why would you need 7 gears in a car that is going to be light weight and high hp???? Are they afraid that the engine can't handle it? The ZR1 (and Z06) both handle their long gears with ease which is one of the reasons they are so quick. 1st gear to 60+ mph?!?!!! Why slow the car down with more gear shifts?
Old 09-27-2011, 08:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sc00by
Why would you need 7 gears in a car that is going to be light weight and high hp???? Are they afraid that the engine can't handle it? The ZR1 (and Z06) both handle their long gears with ease which is one of the reasons they are so quick. 1st gear to 60+ mph?!?!!! Why slow the car down with more gear shifts?
It would make more sense for the C7 vette to havet the 7 speed since it will have the 5.5L direct injection DOD engine, more light weight body parts and have to come close to the 2016 Big Brothers 36 mpg guidelines. Then they could make a 1-5 skip shift for the city drive cycle.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:58 AM
Launching!

Thumbs up

More gears allows the engine to stay within a narrower power band each shift. Ask a big rig trucker who knows how to drive a 10, 12, 18 speed manual. Allowing the trans to do the torque work instead of the engine means you can make the engine less powerful. A less powerful engine can be smaller, lighter, and more fuel efficient. Additionally, without long gears to pull the engine doesn't need to pull to the moon in it's RPM band....so cheaper internal parts. Together the trans and engine combo provide the same performance excitement with less fuel consumption and for less money.

As for the gear hunting. It's a matter of the tune/calibrations, not the trans. I've spent 2 years tweaking my 6L's and I've had it go from refusing to downshift to dropping a gear or two with a slight twitch of my foot. You guys hating the 6spds need to find yourself a local and knowledgeable tuner to tweak it. Trust me...once it's done right, you never wanna drive a 4L70 trans vehicle again.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:23 PM
TECH Regular

Don't F1 cars have a seven speed or something like that?
Old 09-28-2011, 01:34 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oldred95
I heard Ford is looking into an 8 speed for the Power Chokes at some point. I really don't see the need for all these gears. They are going to have these things acting like fully loaded big rigs taking off from a stop having to go through every gear whether it needs to or not. 5 evenly spaced gears is more than sufficient. They need to bring back the 4L80E and figure out a way of adding a .67:1 double OD to it. That would be just about as perfect as you can get IMO.
I agree. Every time you change a gear you are stopping and starting something or both at the same time and that takes up power. Also more parts to wear out. Seems like they always have to overdo everything. Before you know it they will have a 26 speed to go with their wheels...
Old 09-29-2011, 09:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just look at any lambo vs z06 or zr1 video's on the internet. While the lambo driver is rowing a boat shifting gears the vette is shifting much slower. Its just using the tq that the engine was designed to use unlike the high reving lambo that has a small power curve.

I understand the big brother fuel regulations.....thanks government for over regulating and sticking your head into things they (government) don't understand.

Quick Reply: 7 speed for vette 2013