Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

80 is in

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Like I said, I haven't been on it yet due to the fact I haven't had the time to get the 60 out of the bed yet. It was slammed around back there and whatnot. I did stab it a teeny bit up maybe 3000 or so in 1st and it was really snappy..so I can't wait to see what WOT is like. The lockup on this Yank is awesome. Getting on the highway it's not hard to get the rpm's up to 3000 and then that sucker just clamps down really nicely. You can really feel it. Basically the way it locks up is how I wish the trans shifted. But I think it may need a shift kit for that. Im happy with the converter choice, it will work well with the mid size cam I have.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:55 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

What I meant was, is daily driving what you expected out of it? Tighter/looser than you expected?

And a shift kit would make a world of difference.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's a big difference from the stock 60/stock converter in terms of how much pedal it needs to get going. To get going with traffic pretty rapidly from a stop I'd say it takes about 2500 rpms or so whereas the stock 60 converter of course goes around 1200 rpms.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya it does definitely take some getting used to. I don't even remember what my truck felt like with a stock converter anymore haha
Old 03-01-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
and FWIW, I still hate my 80E... back to a 60E, here I come mines well built, stock converter, with a stall, lots of power, little power... etc. I've had it with lots of different conditions and it hasnt shown me anything a 60E cant accomplish. I'm glad you got what youre looking for GMC... I'm just not into lugging around weight and mass for no reason, not with my next build at least

glad it got ya home in one piece. you can firm it up a lot without hurting anything. but a shift kit is the proper way to do it.
Hey I am curious why you not like 80e? What make you want back to 60e? I know 80e is stronger and first gear been long to change gear. I wonder if you change to larger gear to make 80e accleration fast as 60e is?
Old 03-01-2010, 06:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Go5.3tt06
Hey I am curious why you not like 80e? What make you want back to 60e? I know 80e is stronger and first gear been long to change gear. I wonder if you change to larger gear to make 80e accleration fast as 60e is?
A built 4l60e is better for drag racing, less weight, less parasitic loss, better gearing, etc. I choose the 80 because it's just a daily driver and I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on a built 60.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you like Mike.. You will get use to it.. Hell I am still debating going the 80 route with my new engine build, or sticking with a built 60.. For you guys with the heavier( EC) trucks, a 80 is prob your best option.. Now go get some vids of you roasting the tires off, its not like your going to break, uuummmm well the trans anyway
Old 03-01-2010, 07:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
and FWIW, I still hate my 80E... back to a 60E, here I come mines well built, stock converter, with a stall, lots of power, little power... etc. I've had it with lots of different conditions and it hasnt shown me anything a 60E cant accomplish. I'm glad you got what youre looking for GMC... I'm just not into lugging around weight and mass for no reason, not with my next build at least

glad it got ya home in one piece. you can firm it up a lot without hurting anything. but a shift kit is the proper way to do it.
I'm just the opposite. Everything about the 4L80E is better, especially the gearing, IMO. It all depends on your power band though.

The 4L80E is very capable of breaking your neck if you want it to. I put a shift kit in mine with the recommended transgo hole sizes for normal use and I've had to dial the shift pressure WAY down on mine to keep it from being a brutal jolt. My converter will brake stall to 1500 rpms and is very tight and does magnify the shift firmness quite a bit though. Its fun though when it hits second at WOT. When it hits second its like the Star Ship Enterprise when it hits hyper drive.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
A built 4l60e is better for drag racing, less weight, less parasitic loss, better gearing, etc. I choose the 80 because it's just a daily driver and I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on a built 60.
Now I dont know which one should I stick. I do drive daily, I do tow sometimes. I like to be race. Not sure which one would be worth to dependable. If you think 80 is best way to go. I want to know what size gear can run in the rearend to make it accleration faster like as 60e. For my setup n/a engine and still goal to get front mount turbo. To see if anyone willing help me out and more explain. So I able to decide where I should stick with.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would get the 80e, but silver-mod-o will tell you to do the 60.