Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

80e lvl4 vs. 65e lvl5?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldred95
The 4L80E has the advantage hands down. It is rated to handle 440 ft lbs in a 8000 pound truck.

Here is what wikipedia has to say about the 4L65E. In 2001 an updated version, the 4L65-E, was introduced. Five-pinion planetaries, along with a strength-improved output shaft, were improved to withstand the 300+ ft·lbf (over 400 N·m) of torque of the 6.0 Vortec engine.

Thats in aproximately a 5000 pound truck. Basically the 4L60E was built for a B and F body car and it was just too cost effective to not use it in the light duty truck platform since they were never intended to be used or modified in any way shape or form.
thanks for the info.... i just dont see why anybody would buy a 65e lv5 for their lightduty truck, just because its a direct swap? I mean wouldnt anybody in their right mind just go with the CHEAPER STRONGER tranny with minor fabrications that have to be done? and what are the minor tweaks that have to be done to fit an 80e into our lightduty trucks? thanks for the help everyone!
Old 09-15-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree totally but the mods to put an 80 in a 4wd are not as minor as putting an 80 in a 2wd.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nemmarick
thanks for the info.... i just dont see why anybody would buy a 65e lv5 for their lightduty truck, just because its a direct swap? I mean wouldnt anybody in their right mind just go with the CHEAPER STRONGER tranny with minor fabrications that have to be done? and what are the minor tweaks that have to be done to fit an 80e into our lightduty trucks? thanks for the help everyone!
Some people are scared to loose the ~50hp extra that the 80E eats up. The 1st gear is taller 2.47 vs 3.06. A stall cost a lot more. It takes some minor Fab work and wiring adjustments along with a tune change.

They are stronger that's for sure. I got tired of pullin the 60E out and dealing with screwed up converters. I went with a Junkyard 80E that came with the LQ4 I got from Lilreddevil. Put a Transgo HD2 and not lookin back. Yea I miss the Yank TT3000 stall in the 60E but traction was out the window. Now with the 80E and stock converter its hard to get it to spin, off idle is pretty slow. but once it gets moving it pulls hard.

I also like the piece of mind that when I'm towing a heavy load the Transmission is the last thing on my mind. The huge stock converter plus the extra fluid capacity keeps the Trans fluid Temps low even after running it extremely hard.

You plan on Turbo or Supercharger?
Old 09-15-2008, 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sharpshooter
I agree totally but the mods to put an 80 in a 4wd are not as minor as putting an 80 in a 2wd.
I'd rather go thru that trouble than to replace 60E's. Its just goin to cost a lil more for the extra gear for the TC but you still come out cheaper than a lvl5 65E.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Some people are scared to loose the ~50hp extra that the 80E eats up. The 1st gear is taller 2.47 vs 3.06. A stall cost a lot more. It takes some minor Fab work and wiring adjustments along with a tune change.

They are stronger that's for sure. I got tired of pullin the 60E out and dealing with screwed up converters. I went with a Junkyard 80E that came with the LQ4 I got from Lilreddevil. Put a Transgo HD2 and not lookin back. Yea I miss the Yank TT3000 stall in the 60E but traction was out the window. Now with the 80E and stock converter its hard to get it to spin, off idle is pretty slow. but once it gets moving it pulls hard.

I also like the piece of mind that when I'm towing a heavy load the Transmission is the last thing on my mind. The huge stock converter plus the extra fluid capacity keeps the Trans fluid Temps low even after running it extremely hard.

You plan on Turbo or Supercharger?
Yes I plan on going FI, not sure if I want turbo or SC but all I know is I need it to be my work truck/daily driver/occasional drag, but boost is in the future. For right now, prep for boost(cam/pushrods/lifters/tranny/locker,etc). I also have 4WD so whats the fabs needed to fit the 80e in? expensive? or can I do them all at a welding shop? cuz my buddy owns one, thanks.